1

With a deep breath in and out, I straighten my back and step out of the taxi. I let the door close behind me and shrug on my backpack. I hear the squeal of tyres on asphalt and a quick look behind me tells me that it’s too late to say thank you to the driver.

   “Thanks, sir,” I say under my breath, with a little wave of my hand. Hopefully, in some alternate spatial or temporal region (or some shit like that), he heard me. For now, though… sayonara, mister.

   I turn back to look at the previously unmentioned magnificent sight before me. A golden arch stands proudly there, framed by some curious-looking creeping-plant. On each of its sides, tall golden fences stretch beyond my line of vision, probably circling the large compound that I was just about to enter.

   Yup. I’ve got to enter this place. Come on, man. Take that first step. Stop being such a fucking coward.

   And….

   I fail to stop being a bleeping coward. What the heck’s holding me back?

  Okay, stupid question. I know the answer to that. But let’s not think about that. Let’s think about something else. Like the reason why you’re actually here. Yes, let’s think about that.

   Or rather, let’s get on with this shit.

   ….maybe I should stop having these internal conversations with myself. It’s starting to creep me out.

   “It’s starting to creep me out,” I suddenly hear a voice say, scaring the bejesus out of me.

   I feel a scream threaten to escape my lips, but in an attempt to hold it back, I choke instead. Brilliant, man. Just brilliant.

   A head appears out of thin air in front of me. WHAT THE FECKIN HELL.

   The head can be described as being quite young looking with messy orange hair and a conspicuous mole on its chin. Also, quite bodiless. F-

   “Could you please stop that horrific cursing? It is hurting my mind-ears,” the head says.

   All I can manage in reply is this, “AHHH.”

   “Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to scare you! Please forgive me,” says the head as the rest of him appears. This is nuts. Am I dreaming?

   “Ahahah, no you are not, kind sir,” replies mister bodiless-now-bodifull. “This is, in fact, reality! Well, it’s Hydra School of Mages- but Hydra is set in reality. Well, this reality anyway.” He then looked thoughtful. “Although, one could arguably say, ‘what is a dream but a nother reality?’ Hmm. Interesting point, Mr Mallory. Thank you for that. I shall have to think more on this sometime.”

   I can practically hear him speaking in italics. Wait-did he just say my name? The f-

   “Oh how rude of me!” he says with a chuckle. “My name is Alan Roe, you may call me Alan, and I have been assigned as your guide for the day! Welcome to Hydra.”

   Ah.

   Sh-