One

M

I watch as the winds blew the leaves on an early summer day. The view was mesmerizing.

I watch the grounds get filled by my fellow La Sallians, who got up early to jog and lose some pounds.

I watch as the sun scorch against my skin, I watch as the grass sway along the breeze, I watch as tears continuously crawl down my cheeks.

I led myself to believe that I deserve this. Do I? Do I deserve this?

I was crying here inside the dorm, looking out the window, waiting for her to come back.

Waiting for her to acknowledge my presence. Waiting for her to turn back to me. Waiting for something impossible.

My hands cupped the mug of coffee I was drinking. My sweater had sleeves that go up to the palms of my hands, and I was using it to wipe my tears.

It reminded me of how I've always wanted her to have my back, to comfort me when I was crying.

But she never did.

"Ye, Kain na." Kimmy entered the room, and she wasn't her usual jolly self. She was so worried about me, the whole team are all worried about me.

I pursed my lips and shook my head, still not looking at her.

I felt Kimmy's sad aura turn into an angry one. A furious one.

"Ano? Hindi ka na naman kakain? Jusko naman, Mika!" She grabbed my shoulder and that made me face her. "Hanggang kailan ka ba magiging ganyan, ha? Gumising ka nga!" Her voice was so loud, I feel like all our teammates downstairs could hear us.

I didn't answer her. I didn't need to. Instead, I went to my bed and lied down, and I did the rudest thing any person can do to a friend. I turned my back on her.

"Wow." She sarcastically remarked. "Wala kang mapapala dyan sa pinaggagawa mo, Ye. Hindi mo siya mababalik kung iiyak ka lang ng iiyak." I heard her take steps going towards me. She was nearer now. "Dalawa lang choice mo. Hold on or let go. At kung ako sa'yo, I'd let go."

I was shocked with what Kimmy said. It was as if she was telling me that there was no point in wasting all of this time because of my stupid feelings for Vic. Well, I guess she's right. In a time like this, it's crucial to know my limits. Vic is happy with someone else, and there's nothing I can do.

Even so, I know a bigger part of me is screaming, "Hold on!". A bigger part of me still believes in the way her eyes sparkle when we're together. The way her perfect lips form a gleaming smile. The way her voice calls my name from afar.

I heard Kimmy leave the room. Now that I'm all alone, my thoughts slowly kill me. One by one, they attack my heart, my mind, my soul.

She was my Tomsy. And I was her Daks.

What happened to us?

I woke up one day, knowing she was pouring all her love on somebody else.

My heart wasn't shattered. It was punched, kicked, slapped, tortured, until it was bleeding of pain.

I couldn't believe it. I knew from day one that loving her would be a bad idea.

And I can't believe that I let myself fall for her. But then again, it was never really my choice to begin with. I didn't want to fall in love with my best friend. It just happened.

And to think that, every day, we would open our eyes, and we would act as if we were a couple. We would always be there to support each other on court, we were so sweet on our twitter conversations, and my first kiss was with her, for goodness sake.