Chapter 1: An Awkward Encounter

"Someone from the past still resonating in your present..."

*Danny's POV*

"Two tap waters please mate" I say to the bartender at the BRIT Awards. Who'd of thought that almost twelve years after McFly won 'Best British Pop Act' we'd be here nominated for another. The last year or so has been absolutely insane; a number one album, three number one singles, the twins.

"Danny?" I hear a familiar voice behind me, I turn around, "Ellie! How long has it been?!" we share a moment of intimacy and she congratulates me and Georgia on the birth of Poppy and Annabel.

*Dougie's POV*

"Harry, have you seen Danny?" I ask "I've searched all over but I can't find him anywhere!"

"He said he was going to the bar Doug, go and check over there".

I walk round the venue to where the bar is and I see him having a conversation but I can't see who with, my guess is Paddy McGuinness, he has some kind of strange telepathic connection with him, it must be northern senses or something. "Danny" I shout slightly, getting his attention. He turns around and reveals the identity of the person he was conversing with. Ellie.

"Erm, hi Doug..." she says as we have smile at each other awkwardly.

I haven't seen Ellie since last year when we decided we wouldn't give our relationship another go.

"Do you want anything from the bar? Maybe a glass of champagne?" I ask Ellie, regretting it instantly. "No thank you" she replies. We have an ungraceful hug and she walks back off to her table. It was definitely 'An Awkward Encounter'....

*Few hours later*

*Ellie's POV*

I'm just about to go out on stage and play the world premier of my brand new song "Two Years Ago", in front of the person who it's about! Bloody fantastic!

"Hannah, I can't do this..." I whisper to her nervously "Dougie is out there with McFly, if I knew he was going to be here I wouldn't have chosen this one to sing"

I hear Ant and Dec introduce my set "And next up tonight we've got a very famous blonde, who's here to sing her brand new single 'Two Years Ago', please raise the roof for... ELLIE GOULDING!"

I walk out to the stage and smile at Chris who nods back at me, somewhat easing my anxiety.

"I would like to say a few words before I sing this song" I announce nervously "I wrote this song for someone I never stopped loving, even though the feelings weren't mutual".

*Dougie's POV*

"I think we should go.." I quickly whisper to my girlfriend Gabby, taking her hand and leading her out of the door before we could hear, what was quite obviously, a song about me.

When climbing into our taxi parked outside of the venue I hear Ellie sing the words 'thought our love is insurmountable', I swallow the lump in my throat and slam the door shut, I then lean in for a kiss from Gabby and place my arm over her legs, just like I used to do to Ellie.