The Science of Annoyance [Boy x Boy]

Authors Note: This is the first chapter of the first story I’ve ever put on Wattpad, I’d like feedback, if it’s good I’ll keep posting the rest of the story. This story is set in Australia and the university that it takes place at is fictional but most of the locations are based on a real university. The city it is set in is real though.

This chapter is dedicated to my editor randomusicnotesXD, without her giving up her time this story would only contain my own horrible editing skills so this is my way of saying thanks.

Chapter 1:  

Noah’s Point Of View:

It was February and it was hot as we drove towards the university campus. The car’s air conditioner was on at full blast. Along with a news announcement on some talk back radio.

 I was doing my best to block it out with the music from my iPod without causing myself permanent hearing damage. My reluctant younger brother and sister were seated on my left hand side. My mother and father were chatting to each other in the front seats.

 “I heard Josh is staying at the same accommodation house as you,” my mother said so suddenly, with my listless day dreaming and staring out the window at the city, I almost didn’t hear.

 “You two used to have so much fun together,” she added her voice sounding more sickly sweet by the second but only to my ears, of course.

 “Well we don’t anymore,” I replied as I turned down my music slightly while mentally rolling my eyes. I love my mother but when she gets started on a rant, especially about Josh Ross from next door, there’s no stopping her.

 Basically both my parents are scientists. My mother works for a nano-technology research company. My dad works as a chemistry professor at the university that I was forced to go to. This was so they could keep an eye on me or something like that. I’ve realized by now that I’m never going to get away and go get a life of my own without a fight.

 Anyhow, back to topic. Josh Ross, science genius, is what my parents would have wanted in a dream child, the perfect son. Not what they ended up with which was an art prodigy, a music prodigy and a way younger third child with limited intelligence.

I guess after two very smart kids that gene must have ran out. Although it could have something to do with that Josh kid dropping my younger brother, who was still at the time a baby, on his head when we were seven.  

“Mum, that kid was weird,” my sister, Gina, said from the far left hand side of the car.

“Don’t say things like that, dear. He was a nice boy,” Mum replied. Gina used to play with Josh as well. With her being twelve months younger than me to the exact day, the two of us were quite close until about the time I started year ten. After that, we both ended up slowly drifting apart. Siblings do as they get older, I guess. She’s starting here next year so maybe we’d see more of each other in University.

I don’t know about my younger brother coming here in six years, though, like my parents have planned. I think he wants a career in professional sports. I don’t think a place like this fits into his plan, even though it would be good for him. He started high school about three weeks ago but as long as he doesn’t bother Ms. Vice School Captain, who was seated next to him, I’m sure he’ll get on fine.

All three of us kids have the same brown hair and eyes as our father. While we have our mother’s height issue of being much taller than most people are. It was a good combination seeing as both Gina and I got their brains while Harold, well he’s just Harold.

Harold is quite good at sport though, which is something a family of geeks and nerds will never get. I’ve never met anyone on either side of my family that doesn’t have above average intelligence.