Nothing but Our Scars

I was her lonely neighbour, she, the most wonderful thing that ever happened to me.
It all took place that one day I'd run out of sugar, and, being too late to buy more, I decided to go ask my neighbour.
So there I went, shyly walking to my neighbour's house. Knocking twice, the front door opened, revealing the most beautiful creature I've ever seen; long, curly hair, the kind of blonde that reminds you of honey, with gorgeous hazel eyes. I was awestruck, she'd always have this effect on me, even when we were kids.
Stammering, I asked her for a little sugar. She, releasing the most melodic sound ever, told me to come in. She was already making coffee, anyways, and told me to stay if I wanted. Gods, I love her so much.
Ever since kids, she and I were friends. We'd dance all across the kitchen floor to every kind of song, tell each other everything, from the simplest of things to our darkest secrets.
We had this special place where we first met, a cliff that oversees the town with a lighthouse on its peak. We'd agreed, in that time at her house, to meet there after nine.
We'd usually just sit there enjoying each other's company, but this time it was different.
To start off she'd arrived even later than what she used to, her eyes red and puffed, like those of someone after they'd been crying. When she saw me all I could hear were her little feet running at me. When she reached me, tears were pouring out those mesmerising hazel eyes of hers. All I could do was hug her, rocking her back and forth, never intending for her to tell me what's wrong, just for her to let it all out.
I've known about her family problems for a long time now, that's why whenever she cried or needed someone there for her I always tried to comfort my love without her family noticing, they may start a scandal and kick her to the curb.
No one ever loved her like I did, and she knew that. I now know no one would ever love me like she did. I had been waiting all this time, twenty two years of my life, just to get to this moment, the best and worst day of my life. The day she told me she loved me as more than friends, but somehow her family found out about it. They were moving out in the morning, her family wouldn't have her daughter dating me.
My heart fell, I couldn't live without her.
That night we stayed there, crying together, confessing things one last time. I told her I loved her, too, and she kissed me.
It was the sweetest kiss ever.
After, she told me she loved me one last time and left. By eight A.M. she was already gone.
I tried contacting her several times after, but she wouldn't answer. A few weeks later I heard the tragic news I refused to believe for a long time; my sweet hazel-eyed had died, she had killed herself. Her family were the ones who drew her to it, that's why she wouldn't answer me. She... She was dead. I felt like I couldn't breathe, I cried for days on end. I loved her. But now, in my deathbed surrounded by my children and grandchildren I know I did the right thing by living on for her and her memories. For us.
I love you, Danni, I always will.
With love, Alex.