Chapter 1

"Cause she's got that one international smile..."

Violet's POV

I break the vase on the banister. I need to get out of here. I need to get out of here.

Stepping over the broken glass, I grab the backpack from the counter and make a run for the front door.

"Where'd it go?" One of his many hunch men say from down the hall.

"Vi, come back here!" I hear him say, making me cringe.

My bare feet make contact with the cold concrete; I feel the chilling December air settle on my skin. I slam the door behind me and start running down the street. I hear the the door slam again. They're coming for me.

I duck behind the dumpster, pressing my back up against its side and hear the heavy footstep come close.

"Come on Vi, baby, don't be stupid and give us the money. You chose this life a long time ago, there isn't any getting out of it now."

I clasp my hand over my mouth, quieting my panting breaths. Stay quiet Violet, this might be your only chance.

"Your making one of your many stupid mistakes again Vi. They are going to come and kill you Violet. Just come out and let me take care of you, princess. You need me to take care of you. Just like always."

Anger rises in me, after all the abuse he's given me, and the time I've wasted on him; I'd had enough. I'm going to start a new life, away from him; no more running back, I can take care of myself.

Seconds of silence go by, "Fine Vi, leave. But there is no escaping me or any part of this business. It'll be a matter of time before you get scared and come crawling back to me, like usual. Just know I'm not going to be so forgiving this time."

More seconds go by and the footsteps recede, I'm alone.

I take the hand off of my mouth and place the backpack in my lap.

Opening it up, I unzip the big pocket and take a look inside.

"Holy shit." I mutter under my breath as I look at the stacks upon stacks of hundred doller bills.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lol hoped you liked this

-Lauren