Chapter One - Love Crumbles

I awake sudden, his hand upon my shoulder. He's sound asleep. I check the clock. 10:50 p.m.
   "Fuck! Lynn, wake up. I was supposed to be home by eleven!" I shake him by his shoulders until he fully awakens. He seems upset by my alarming voice. "My mom is going to kill me!" My stomach feels queasy as I stand, scrambling my clothes back on. Lynn's parents are in the room next to us with the door cracked, sound asleep. I stare down at Lynn's sleepy eyes opening slowly, and I fall more in love with him. I sigh, feeling terrible for waking him. I should know how to drive by now, what the hell, I'm sixteen and still making Lynn drive me home.
   "Alright, I'm up. Take the key, get in the car, turn the air on, and I'll be out there as soon as I can." He stretches out like a tiresome cat. I smile, nod and head out the front door.
This kind of thing happened too many times to count. We would end up in his queen size bed, slowly falling asleep at each others' grasp. Our heart beats would sync, and next thing you know two hours fly by, our eyelids closed and bodies at ease.
   That was six months ago. Then, Lynn had his eyes on me and only me. He kissed the ground I walked on, and I tried my best to show him my love. I did that by worrying over him constantly, thinking any girl he talked to had an interest in him. That was then, and this is now.

I grab my lipstick, opening the capsule, and rubbing the end across my  pale, pink lips. I sigh, open my bedroom door, and walk into the living room. My phone vibrates and I answer.
   "We're outside," Lynn's monotone voice hovers.
   "Okay, love y-" He ends the call without saying anything back. I look down at the ground, hesitant, before opening the front door and walking out. The white bulky car contains three people: Lynn's parents and himself. I hop into the car, closing the door by my side. Looking over, I seen Lynn's hardened face looking straight forward.
   "Hey, Rose! How are you doing?" says Lynn's father. Lynn's parents are both very chatty, and I don't mind.
   "Fine, thank you for asking. Yourselves?" I smile at the rear view mirror, catching his eyes.
   "Good," they say in sync as Mr. Chamberlain returns the smile, even bigger. I look over at Lynn once again, reaching my hand over his. He jumps at the touch and then suddenly settles, running his thumb across my hand. He keeps his eyes forward. He hasn't looked at me once. Should I leave him alone? I go with my gut and let go of his hand. He looks my way and gives an annoyed eye roll. Lynn turns his head in the other direction before I could react. I sigh, looking outside my window. It's getting dark quite fast. After a minute, I try to pry Lynn until he looks at me. I grab his forearm, pulling slightly. He yanks back, then looks at me. He seems agitated with his eyes wider than usual, brows furrowed.
   I whisper, "What's wrong, Lynn?" My face full of concern. He shakes his head, looking the other way. This continued the whole way to the high school. You may be asking why we are headed to school during the evening. Tonight is graduation night, and we are attending for a friend of ours.
The car starts to slow down as we park. I take a deep breath, opening my car door. Stepping out, I see many groups of people walking in the entrance doors. I strut to the front of the car, waiting patiently for Lynn to catch up. He stays by my side as we walk to the front doors of the high school. My hand brushes his as we walk. He curls his fingers into a fist. Okay, so much for having a good time. As we walk inside the full gymnasium, I feel a hand press against my shoulder. I turn suddenly to see Kimberly?
"Hey. Rose, right? Well, I'm Kim. Nice to finally meet you," she smiles, her eyes now on Lynn. They chat for a minute as my mind races. So much for a decent night now! What the hell is she doing here? She barely knows anyone from this school. Kimberley and Lynn have been talking over the phone for a while now. He has even picked her up in his car, taking her out into the country to have a fun time. Here she is, though, reassuring me that I have nothing to worry about. Whore.
"Nice to see you again," says Lynn and for the first time tonight, I see him smile. My heart sinks, but I sit down on the bleacher beside his mom. He sits beside me, looking as bored and uninterested as ever. The ceremony starts. We sit quiet and distant, the blue and purple caps and gowns that represent the West Cramer High graduates passing our eye sight.
Everyone in the bleachers clap and cheer when the graduates throw their caps. Finally, all I've been wanting to do is leave and go home. I stand up, walk to the double doors and just when I'm about to exit, I hear a voice.
   "Rose! Don't you want to take a picture with the new graduate?" It's Lynn's mother. Great. As I'm being dragged into the mess of cameras flashing and family members hugging one another, I see Lynn exit the gym. I sigh as Mrs. Chamberlain snaps the photo. I quickly exit, sneaking behind Lynn. He doesn't notice my presence as his eyes focus on the inside of the school window. I follow his eyes and he's looking at.. Kimberly, almost admiring her.
   "What are you looking at, doofus?" I try to joke although I'm genuinely broken.
   "Does it matter?" He scoffs and stares at me, waiting for my response. His reply shocks me so much that I storm back inside the high school.
   "Rose!" I stop. Turning slowly, I see Kimberly is behind me, smiling graciously. "Can we talk?"
   Balls.