●Thirty-Eight: Legal Knots●

I got my motivation back somehow 😂

☆☆☆☆

A click of the door opening resounded, a pair of incisive and calculating orbs looking up from his desk.

"Seijuro-sama, these are the finished papers you asked. Where would you like me to put them?"

"Here is fine."

His secretary strided in front of the glass table, setting the paperwork next to the other pile. Akashi rested his chin on his palm, nimble fingers hovering over the keyboard.

"Is there anything else you need, sir?"

"No, you may go now."

"Yes."

The tranquil air actuated a sense of peace in his mind, which was nearly dysfunctional due to your absence. It was pure torture not being to fully grasp the current situation you were in, what or how you were doing at the moment. Were you in the courtroom? How were you handling the case? He was well aware that you would have it under control, but he also liked it very much when opportunities arose meaning you would need his assistance and rely on him for help. Getting involved in your matters, work included, was something he considered red-letter, of significance as it was one of the ways that he felt closest to you.

To be able to have himself included in your affairs meant that you trusted him enough to be an important part your life.

He knew you believed in second chances.

Though he couldn't help but wonder, if things had started out differently without him being technically tied to someone else in papers, would you have been by his side still? Did his feelings ever reach you? Even if it wasn't much, at one point somewhere in your life,

Did you ever like him better than Midorima?

No, rather....

Did you really feel anything for him at all?

He never felt so pathetic. Deep down, he had always come to accept the thought that he was indeed someone who deserved and was worth being despised by people like you for having such a cunning personality. His expectations just had never come to a realization that hearing you tell it straight to his face would cause him...mental affliction. In all honesty, who would want to hear their loved ones say that they hated you? It took all he had not to let it affect him, as it was difficult enough not to lose face in front of you. Yes, he acted like you getting engaged to the man of your dreams was not that big of a deal because he had the utmost confidence that he'll be able to win you back with just a snap of his fingers when in reality, the truth was nowhere near that imperious conclusion.

By all means, he was fearful, even terrified at the chances of you not wanting him back.

You were a woman who stuck to her cardinal virtue, right from day one, what he was extremely fascinated by you was your everlasting devotion to something or someone you care about.

Like your family for example, he has heard that you and your mother have an unresolved estranged relationship which caused you to overexert yourself emotionally and that you wanted nothing more than to walk out from it all.

But you didn't. You knew better.

Instead, you just dedicated yourself to your job and continued supporting their lifestyle unconditionally without expecting anything in return.

For him, nothing more could ever be as entrancing than someone whose loyalty is unparalleled.

Every single passing day of his was yet spent on devicing a way to steal back your trust and perhaps, affection. That beaming face of yours he only gets to witness not so very often was truly lovely and the silver band around your slender finger suited you, he admitted to himself.