Prologue

I sat on the curb waiting for a reply.

"Wait there, I'll send somebody." He finally replied.

"No, I'm fine dad."

"I don't care, they're on their way. Stay there."

And the line dropped.

Letting out a sigh, I stood up, bringing my backpack with me. I began walking down the street as the Southern California marine layer rolled overhead.

I reached in the back of my pockets and pulled out my headphones and turned on some music. The wind blew and the faint rustle of leaves could be heard. I winced as the air hit my face, lucky that I wore a sweatshirt today.

As I was crossing the street, I passed by a playground with playing kids all over the jungle gym, and moms with worried looks on their faces because one misstep could mean a broken arm.

I laughed to myself as one mom finally told them to get down. The kids got mad, but they didn't realize how lucky they were.

I didn't have a mom like that when I was younger, and have gotten my fare share of broken arms because of it. My dad wasn't always that courteous. He would've let me break an arm so I could learn a lesson.

The wind blew a little harder and my auburn hair blew into my face, causing me to take my hand out of my warm pocket and to push my hair behind my ear.

I looked back up and saw a black car in the distance come out of the neighborhoods and start to come closer and closer.

It finally came to a stop right c beside me and I turned to face the driver. The window rolled down.

"Get in." Said the man

I nodded in reply as I climbed into the vehicle and the car started to move once more in silence.

"What were you thinking?" The man finally broke the silence.

I looked over at him so he knew I was listening.

"Walking over here." He elaborated.

"Rob, it's fine. It was just a couple of blocks." I replied.

"Yes, but you know what your father will do when he finds out."

Rob was my dads 'royal servant'. Well that's just what I call it. He's my dads first man, and they've known each other since forever, meaning I've known him forever too.

"Well he doesn't have to find out." I smiled weakly at him.

"You know he will. We got the little snitch in the back." He flicked his head in the direction.

I looked back and noticed a man that I haven't seen before.

"Who are you?"

"Your fathers newest addition to the team." Rob answered for me. "He's going to tell your dad because he needs to earn his trust."

I huffed and slummed down in my seat.

We turned a corner and the sizes of properties of land started to grow, as well as the houses.

My house was at the end of the coldest sac. The biggest property of all. It was sitting on what seemed a hill, overlooking the neighborhood of houses. Of course, a long driveway led up to its front steps.

Rob parked to the car when we got to my house and I jumped out of the car, swinging my backpack back over my shoulders.

I opened the large wooden French doors of my house to see my stunning staircase leading to the upstairs.

The staircase faces the front doors and then splits into two parts in the middle, the two parts leading off into opposite directions.

My father is was born in Italy, and wanted his house to feel like home, so almost all decor is either rustic metal or old cherry wood.

I turned a corner walking to the end of the hallway to my dining room, where I can hear faint voices talking.

I opened the set of doors to see a bunch of men sitting at the table, with my dad at the head. He immediately stood up and walked over to me.

"My little girl!" he said while pulling me into a hug.

"Hi daddy."

"How was school?"

"Good." I replied.

"Good. Now get outta here, I've got some work to finish up." He said while walking back to his seat.

"Ok. Bye guys." I waved to the familiar men at the table.

"Bye." I heard them say while I closed the door.

I went up to my room and shut my door, throwing my bag on the ground in the meantime.

My room was a bit antique and clean. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I had a pastel blue walls and a black dresser pushed up against the wall with my door. The wall parallel to the one with the door had French doors leading to my small patio.

My bed was nothing special. White sheets covered the mattress.

I hopped on my bed and immersed myself in a novel that I've read over 30 times before.

Everyday was like this. Monotonous.