Chapter One: The Story Begins

"Edward... We have to go back!"

"No Selena, it is too dangerous. We can't risk making things worse..."

"We have to fix this..." Selena paced the room before stopping and bringing her eyes up to meet Edward's. "What have we done?"

SIX MONTHS EARLIER

Selena tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "I just don't understand, after everything that we went through."

You could hear the anger and the sadness echoing in her voice. Luke himself was angry. How dare Justin do this? Didn't he know Selena had moved on already?

"I don't know why he's doing this... What does he expect is going to happen?" Selena muttered absently, staring at her phone. She was looking at a photo Justin, her ex-boyfriend, had posted on Instagram. It was a photo, from many years ago, of the two of them kissing; the fifth of this nature he'd posted that week alone. She looked up at Luke, "I wish I could just go back in time and never meet him."

"I could probably help with that," Selena and Luke turned their heads to look at the source of the voice; a red-haired boy sitting in the corner of the dressing room.

"This isn't a joking matter, Michael," Luke hissed at him.

"No, I'm being serious, Lukey," he countered, before standing and walking over to the pair. "I know a guy who could hook you up with a time machine. Legit."

Selena scoffed, clearly not amused, nor appreciative of Michael's behaviour.

"If you want to believe I'm lying, fine. But I'm not. Some weird bald dude wearing a Hawaiian shirt and sandals, met him a couple months back, showed me this TARDIS sorta thing he had, asked me if I wanted to buy it. It was some wild shit, dude"

"Okay, I'm going to humour you here, Michael," Selena began, her eyebrows raised in blatant indignation. "Say this man was for real, where could you possibly have met a man who sells time machines?"

"I was... uhh- I thought- I thought... he was selling..." Michael stuttered, suddenly appearing much less willing to discuss the experience. "Something else..."

"Drugs?" Calum, who was sitting on a lounge on the far side of the room, dead-panned.

"No-one said anything about drugs, Calum. Is that what you people think of me?" Michael scoffed and attempted to feign being shocked and insulted. He looked around, but everyone was staring at him, clearly thoroughly unconvinced. He sighed in defeat. "Okay, but it was just that one time, and, and he approached me, and I was having a really rough week, and I didn't go through with it, and, and, and..."

"Michael, stop. We don't actually care." Luke interrupted, not happy they had trailed off and started talking about time machines. He turned his attention back to Selena. "If you want me to do something, or... I don't know. If it's bothering you we'll make him stop, okay?"

"It doesn't really matter, Luke," Selena sighed. "I won't know if I don't look, right?"

"Yeah, but - " Luke was about to protest against her submission, but was interrupted by a loud knock on the door.

"Let us in, you guys!" yelled someone on the other side.

5 Seconds of Summer were sitting in their dressing room at a music festival in Vancouver, Canada, waiting to go on stage and perform a new single they had produced with a number of other artists, including Luke's sort-of-girlfriend Selena Gomez. Calum walked over to the door and unlocked it, and the final band member, Ashton, entered, followed by the last of the song's featured artists, Shawn Mendes.