1-be careful what you wish for

On the day that I hit a million subscribers, all hell broke loose. Well, not literally. But to me, it seemed that way. You would think that day would have been a special occasion, that I would have thrown a small party with my friends and family, or posted a soppy text post on Tumblr expressing my gratitude and thanks for all the endless support that viewers had given me over the years.

But it didn't quite work out that way.

Instead, my whole life as I knew it was turned upside down and shattered into pieces, like a glass falling out of someone's hand and smashing against the floor. It's a shitty metaphor, I know, but it's the only way I can describe it.

In hindsight, I probably should have known what was going to happen. I should have forseen it coming. But hindsight is a funny thing, you're always able to see things logically when it's already way too late.

And so, let me tell you my story.

That is, the actual story.

---

"Holy shit."

I stared at my computer screen in complete and utter shock, trying to let the reality of the situation sink in. Situated next to my channel profile picture-which was my eighteen year old self grinning awkwardly at the camera-was my subscriber count which was quickly going up by the minute.

One million,five thousand and sixty six subscribers.

I had actually done it, all my hard work had paid off. I had hit that milestone that every small creator on this site dreamed of-not only had I hit the one million mark, I had surpassed it slightly.

I ran my hands through my hair,which I had recently dyed a dark blonde and smiled to myself in disbelief. My phone which was situated beside my laptop kept buzzing with notifications from all my social media followers,  congratulating me on hitting a million subscribers.

But I kept staring at my computer screen, sitting at the kitchen table alone in my tiny apartment.

My Youtube channel was started in the summer between my final school exams and my first semester at college. It had just been a project, a way for me to fight off the boredom and make use of all the free time that the summer holidays bring.

But more and more people subscribed, and I slowly became more involved in the channel, making more sketches and vlogs. I had gained quite a following on social media by the time I graduated from college with my Arts degree, and now I had reached my goal:I had at least a million people who watched my videos.

To be honest, it was totally surreal. I was now practically a celebrity on the internet, which was slightly daunting.

But still, it wasn't bad at all for a nerdy twenty-two year old from Dublin.

My phone buzzed with an incoming call, and I quickly answered it "Hello?"

"Before you have a hissy fit, I'm coming over and I have a bottle of Pinot Grigio and cake from that French bakery you like. We are going to celebrate this milestone sensibly, like the classy grown ups we are."

I laughed at the sarcasm in that last statement, as I got to my feet and headed for the sofa. "Says the one who's hiring a bunch of strippers for her twenty-second."