1

There once was a boy named Harry
Who constantly conquered death
In one final battle between good and bad
He may take his final breath

Edi sang along quietly. Playing the song again, she looked around the room. By the looks of it, she was a normal 16 year old girl but she was far from it. People from Oak Ridge high school saw her as a classic nerd who was obsessed with books and Harry Potter. Edi was a nerd but also a badass. She let no one bully her or take advantage of her. She was trained in self-defense and always kept a pocket knife on her.

Pushing herself away from her thoughts, she returned back to her math homework. Algebra 2 was not easy and she needed to focus. If x= 6y*4z then what does Y equal. Uhhg why does math have to be so hard? "EDI ITS TIME FOR DINNER!" her Mom screamed across the house. Heading downstairs Edi looked out the window and saw that she had new neighbors.

"Mom, who are the new neighbors?" Edi asked. "The Keatermans" she responded with a slight snarl. "They are such bad family, stay away from them!". " Why are they... PIZZA, AGAIN!" This was the forth time in a row that Edi had had frozen pizza for dinner. "Sorry honey, you know things are tight right now" her mom said quietly. Tight was an understatement, with her mom working three jobs and him taking some of  the money, they barely had enough to pay the rent and put food on the table. The only glimmer of hope was Edi's secret job which her mother didn't know about.
"Why can't we just stand up to him? Edi asked. Her mom mumbled "You know how well that went last time." Yeah my friends are still wondering where the bruises came from she thought to herself.

Sitting down to eat dinner she thought about how much homework she still had to do