Chapter 1

Avia

My mum loved the saying, "Never take life for-granted." I don't know why, but it's stuck with me, even after she was gone. I often wonder if she would have considered the infected to be alive. They move, they feed and they spread on the infection, despite the fact that they are dead. I wonder if she would sanction their death. I mean, in this world it's kill or be killed. I know it, but as I walk through the woods I see the group again. They've been walking through here for about four days, nearly looping back on themselves multiple times. They are about to leave my territory, cross the river, and well, from then on out their life won't be easy. Beyond the river is where they live. You don't want to encounter them, well... unless you want to die.

I silently trail behind the group, walking amongst the autumnal coloured leaves that have began to fall from the century old trees. The fog is still permeating the air, the midday sun not strong enough to illuminate even twenty feet in front of me. I can hear the running of the river, and as the group get closer I cannot allow them to continue on their path. I will not be responsible for more unnecessary deaths.

"Wait!" I call out, bracing for their reaction, which I don't think will be very pleasant. The one who I think is their leader turns around,his face displaying clear shock and fear at the aspect of having being ambushed. "I'm not here to hurt you, but you can't cross over that river," I explained, hoping that the group would not question me as to why.

"What do you want with us?" He said distrustingly, with obvious doubt showing on his face. There were four others in the group, however it was apparent that he was the leader amongst them, as they kept glancing between him and I. His gaze however never wavered from me. Smart choice, and he doesn't even know what I can do yet.

"To steer you from danger. Believe me, if you cross that river most of you will die. I know that you don't trust me but trust your instinct," I explained, trying to keep my voice calm and steady, so that I did not spook them away. I saw the leader begin to reach for something, as the girl behind him glanced at his back. I assumed it was a gun.

"You don't want to bring that out," I stated, with my voice monotone. After all, can't show them that I don't have a weapon with me at the minute. That wouldn't be best idea when people who obviously don't trust you start to reach for their weaponry. "If you fire a shot, then you bring the dead here from miles around, plus you show them that we are here. That's really not a good choice." I continued, as he had stopped reaching behind his back, and was now staring at me with a look of confusion. I mean, I understand, I would be confused if a random girl snook up on my and tried to tell me where not to go.

"What do you mean by "them"? Are you part of this group?" The girl by his side asked, stepping forward, obviously distrusting and trying to wrap her head around this strange situation we had all found ourselves in.

"No. If I were you'd all be dead. They don't take mercy." I explained, my voice getting low. I didn't like to talk about them. They had taken enough from me, and would not be allowed to take anymore, even if it is only my words. "Listen, you nee-" I began, suddenly stopping once I saw a flash of light from within the fog. It was coming from across the river.They are out there, and they must be using flashlights. My distress must show on my face, as the one in charge looks around, and sees what is causing this anxiety.

"If you want to live you have to run," I whispered just loud enough for them to hear, as I turned and took off towards one of my safe zones. I heard him give the command to follow me, along with their following footsteps. I know the forest like the back of my hand, and so as I navigated my way through I making sure that I did not leave a clear path, I decided that I would give them the benefit of the doubt, I made a sudden right and ran towards one of my safe stores.

Within two minutes, with the other group still hot on my tail, I saw the latch in the group where I housed some supplies. Getting my keychain out, I unlocked the padlock, fished out an extra set of keys and a gun.

"Whoa whoa whoa, what are you doing?" I heard coming from my left, as the leader saw my weapon stash.

"Don't worry, the gun isn't for you, but the keys are. I'm saving your lives. Catch," I said, as I threw the keys to him, and put the padlock back into the rusty latch. "Time to go," I stated, as I began to run towards one of the safe houses.

The sun was beginning to go down, and the fog was slowly getting stronger. I love autumn, but the only bad thing is how long the night lasts. They like to have most of their fun at night. This group is lucky that they found me, because by now they would have been dead meat.

We ran at a steady pace for about eight minutes, before the house came into view. With boarded up windows, a high fence and a incredibly thick front door, the only logical way in was with a key. I mean, you could break down one of the barricades I put up but it would take a while. A long while. I turned around once I reached the door, looking at the five people who I seriously hoped weren't one of them. I mean, I don't want to lose a perfectly good safe house, just because I was a good person.

"This is where you all can stay for the night. I have things to do, but I'll be back in the morning. There's no electricity and I wouldn't recommend lighting a fire unless you want to burn the place down, but there is some food, blankets and beds. Not too shabby, am I right?" I smiled up at them, hoping by now they realised I wasn't the bad guy here. 

"So what? You are letting us stay here? For nothing?" The leader asked, his brown hair disheveled from the run here.

"I don't believe her," one of his friends said," what's to say that she hasn't set up traps in the house?"

I looked over to the guy who was voicing his worries, seeing the obvious fear and judgement etched upon his face. He looked to be around forty, with black hair which was greying at the sides. He reminded me of my father.

"I know this is a difficult situation, but I can't bring you with me to where I'm going. You're much safer in there than you are out here, because the biters are walking around and plus they might be roaming around. In the morning I'll be back, and I'll show you away from this place," I explained, hoping to talk this guy out of his panic, " plus the house hasn't got traps, give me the keys back and I'll show you." I glanced over to the leader, seeing that he was staring up at the antique house in awe.

Once he handed me the keys, I opened the door and looked in at the furnished living room. It looked almost normal, like things used to be, except all the windows had been boarded up. As I showed them around the house, they asked few questions, all of which came from members of the group. Once I was done I walked back to the door and gave the leader the key.

"Lock the place up behind me, and don't try to remove the boards. Believe me when I say it's not safe out there. You don't want to encounter one of them. I'll be back in the morning, okay?" I whispered to him, hoping that the rest of his group did not here me voice my concerns. The were all freaked out already, and if they really knew how precarious this situation was, then I don't think there would be much consoling them. I turned around to leave, walking down the steps onto the crunchy blanket of leaves.

"What's your name?" He called out, green eyes shinning at what I believed to be relief. I mean, if I had been wandering around a strange forest for the last four days, I would have been relieved to get a safe place to stay too.

"Avia." I called back, as I disappeared into the fog and ran towards home.