Untitled Part 1

"You owe me a dance. The best man is supposed to dance with the maid of honour." Megan said firmly, her eyes fixated on Kai.

It's been two months. The last time he saw her, she was lying on a hospital bed, crying silently for the lost of her baby...their baby...a product of Kai's drunken miserable night...the very same night Tim and Crystal announced their engagement. That night, he took Megan's virginity while calling desperately for Crystal's name.

Kai's eyes ghosted over Megan. She looked beautiful in the champagne coloured dress. She looked perfect but her eyes told a different story. Her eyes held a deep sense of loss...her eyes looked so withdrawn and lost.

"It's good of you to actually show up at the wedding day." Kai grated with sarcasm. His eyes were spilling with hurt and fury. Megan willingly bore the bouts of his unreasonable anger ever since his heart got broken. She accepted everything as if she deserved every attack he made.

Kai is mad...at the world...at himself...everything in his life has gone downhill and he took it all out on Megan. The girl he loves is now married to his best friend. He blamed Megan...all because she chose to help Tim with her cousin Crystal. Megan promised Kai that she'd help him convince Crystal that he's the right guy for her.

Megan stood in front of him, still waiting for his answer. He didn't notice the desolation and sense of desperation in her eyes. He didn't see the way her face looked like it was clinging to the very last hope that Kai will finally have a change of heart. But as seconds passed by, the hope in her eyes slowly faded away.

"Maybe later Megan. I need to get myself drunk before I can bear to touch you." Kai uttered in a low voice that felt like shards of glass piercing through Megan's heart. His remark hit right where it hurt.

She got reminded of the night he arrived drunk in her apartment, when he was at the lowest point of his life because Crystal and Tim just announced their engagement earlier that night. Kai appeared in Megan's door at three in the morning, his breath and scent reeking of alcohol. He drowned himself in alcohol after the engagement party and he was looking for one last thing to hit a home run of his downfall. Megan took care of him, made him change his clothes; she gave him her bed while she settled in the couch. But he didn't let go of Megan's hand that night, instead, he pulled her down with him on the bed and had sex with her while calling out Crystal's name.

Megan's face blanched, her lips formed a straight line, and she looked like all her blood was drained from her face. Getting reminded of that night, it brought back all the pain she's been trying to erase for the last two months that she's been gone. She got reminded of the night they conceived her baby.

She wasn't supposed to attend the wedding but she couldn't say no to her cousin Crystal and her best friend Tim. She also wanted to see Kai. She hoped that in her absence, he would at least miss her, realize her importance in his life, and forgive her for letting him make love to her even though she knew that he would live to regret it. She understood where he was coming from, he was drunk, and she was sober. She could have used her strength and stop him, she could very well pack a punch and knock him dead that night...but she didn't. He didn't even have to force her, she just let him. The next morning, she woke up with Kai missing in her bed. They never spoke about that night ever again until he found out she was pregnant.

Megan took a deep breath, her lowered eyes finally held Kai's. That was it. Her very last effort before she raised her white flag and give up. She's finally free to move on with her life.

"Okay. I understand. Thank you." She gave out a sad reminiscent smile that confused Kai.

"Good bye Kai." She bowed politely and spoke formally as if she was talking to a stranger. Megan turned away.