SURPRISE ME NOT

Life is full of unexpected surprises.Surprises which fill you with an overwhelming joy and surprises which make your heart screech to a stop.

Who knew how similar the bitumen was to a bed of marshmallows? Who knew how finely detailed and intricate it looked up close? Who kknew what an awesome sight a bucketfull of candy apple red blood was? Who knew how very simple dying is? Who on earth knew?

Tyler Cart shifted uncomfortably in the stiff, wooden chair before the impassive Docter Rinaldi, whose face gretly resembled the hard, dark desk he sat behind. The doctor had his hands clasped and was delivering his speech in a low monotone voice, "............. we tested your blood and we haven't seen anything like it before."

Doctor Rinaldi pauused dramatically.Tyler Cart jerked his head up and felt as if someone had deposited a truck load of ice into his veins.

"We have discovered that you have an extremely rare disease and, unfortunately, there is no cure."

The last four words that left the doctor's mouth were like a blow to the gut. A very hard blow in fact. A blow so hard, it brought tears to Tyler Cart's eyes and made him slip into denial.

"You people are rubbish!" he spat, each word filled with venom from the anger which had overridden his fear.

"Complete and utter rubbish! Do you honestly expect me to believe you?! What kind  of gullible fool do you think i am!?"

Doctor Rinaldi remained calm andd patient as if he had learned about this sort of  thing in meical school.

"I know its hard to believe," the dooctor said, allowing his hard face to show a tiny amount of sympathy.

Tyler Cart carried on mumbling obscenites but stopped suddenly when the doctor interupted him and said in a matter-of - fact manner,

"You have four weeks."