Charade (One Shot)

“Julie” he murmured, the vibration of his voice making me ache all over. My abrupt stop bottlenecked the threshold and Alden ran into my back, sending me stumbling forward.

Reaching out, Alden steadied me and eased me back gently. Elmo’s gaze stayed focused on Alden’s hand at my elbow until I was released. I froze for a moment, stunned by the breakneck pace of events. Great Then I looked at Alden, who seemed to be wavering between puzzled and confusion.

“Ui.. Elmo.. Ikaw pala.. It’s been a long time.”

“Yeah.. school stuff..”

“Okay ka lang Juls?”Alden said smoothly behind my ear, holding me back with a hand at my elbow.

“ahm.. okay lang ako” I nodded and managed a smile, having no idea what that was supposed to mean. We went inside the elevator. I feel the scrutinizing gaze of Elmo over me but I maintain my composure.

“So..Balik showbiz ka na ulit?” Alden asked Elmo. My heart skip a beat.

“Ahm Oo.. Planning to released my album next month..” So his done with it. I saw Alden nodded and he shifted his gaze on me. I smiled at him knowing his trying to read my mind.

“Ikaw Julie.. Kumusta ka na?”

“I’m..I’m okay Moe..” I manage a quick smile. His gaze drop on Alden’s hand still holding my elbow then he shifts his gaze to me with questioning look. I froze and looked away.

The elevator slowed on the tenth floor and a friendly group of five got on, talking excitedly among themselves. I stepped back to make room for them, retreating into the opposite corner of the elevator. Elmo sidestepped along with me. We were suddenly closer than we’d been before. He adjusted slowly, his arm brushing against mine. I sucked in a deep breath, trying to ignore my acute awareness of him by concentrating on the conversation taking place in front of us. It was impossible. He was just so there. Right there. All perfect and gorgeous and smelling divine.

When the car reached the lobby, I almost moaned in relief. I waited impatiently as the elevator emptied and the first chance I got, I took a step forward. His hand settled firmly at the small of my back and he walked out beside me, steering me. The sensation of his touch on such a vulnerable place rippled through me. We reached the turnstiles and his hand fell away, leaving me feeling oddly bereft. I glanced at him, trying to read him, but although he was looking at me, his face gave nothing away. I can sense Alden didn’t notice it.

“Sige Elmo.. See you around. Tara na Juls” He nodded and smiled but it didn’t reach his eyes. He looked at me and my pulse stuttered at the tender, haunted way he was looking at me.

******

The ache in my chest intensified. Our relationship was so fucked up. We couldn’t even talk to each other. I exited on my floor and let myself into my condo, crossing the spacious living room to dump my phone on one of the bar stools. The view showcased through my living room’s floor-to-ceiling windows failed to stir me. I was too agitated to care where I was.

I shed my clothes across the bathroom floor en route to the shower. While I lathered, it was impossible not to think of the occasions when our love for one another had fueled starkly erotic encounters. I missed her so much. I needed her touch, her desire, her love. My craving for those things was a gnawing hunger, making me restless and edgy. I had no idea how I was supposed to fall asleep thinking of Julie being intimate with another man it really did trigger ferocious jealousy.

I need to see her..

*******

Wrapping a towel around me, I left the bathroom