A Playmaker called Death

All DocsEdit

Halloween 2013/2014

A Play Maker Called Death

"... in the tree top, when the wind blows the cradle will rock" I stopped singing. A chill trickled down my back. My hands started to feel clammy. I sat Adabelle down as her grass green eyes fluttered closed into a sleep. I turned and walked out of the nursery. As I went down the hallway the lights started to flicker. They stayed off. I stopped then went on but this time running. My heart raced, I sharp pain spread through my lungs. I was out of breath but continued running until I came across a framed picture that had fallen and broken. Shards of glass lay at my feet in a puddle of liquid. I checked each foot hurriedly. If it wasn't blood, what was it? I reached for my phone in my hoodie pocket. It wasn't there. Front pockets, nothing. Back pockets, first left and nothing. Right the same thing. I heard an abrupt buzz. I reached into the lower left pocket on my old stained khakis grabbing my phone and using it as a light. I ignored the text.

The liquid was clear, I reached down allowing only the very tips of my fingers to skim it. I rubbed my fingers together to feel the consistency of the limpid solution. After realizing there was no scent to it, I came to a conclusion. Water. It was water. In the hallway? All over the hallway. I turned back to go check where the water had come from. The bathroom sink had been on. "Leah must be up." I thought to myself. She had music playing as usual. I knocked on her door, nothing was said. I pushed the door open. Stepping on the warm, fuzzy carpet. I stomped angrily towards her bed dodging empty pizza boxes and dirty laundry. Her floor was damp. Not wet like the hallway, just sodden in different spots like somebody walked through with wet feet.

She lay asleep in her bed. Another chill rippled down my back. I shut her window not thinking of why it was open in the first place. I should've known better, it was snowing. A folded piece of white parchment lay in bed beside her. I picked it up. It was crisp and fresh. When I unfolded it, it read:

"Rock a bye baby in the tree top-

11 tonight the garden, near the brook."

I looked up at the clock. It was 11:03. I rushed to grab my coat, ignoring Leah's wet floor. As I pulled it out of the closet another note fell from my pocket. This time it was short and simple. It read:

"You're late."

Tears started rolling down my cheeks. I grabbed my boots and ran towards the door. Thoughts filled my head, "Who was in my house?" My head pounded. I ran in the snow, through the back gate, over the back hill and into the garden. I looked around and saw nobody. Nothing but the vines that lay around from the previous Springs plants and flowers. The cold was getting to me. I walked slowly down the beaten path towards the babbling water. A huge gust of wind blew, I shivered then noticed another note of the same stature on the sundial. This time it read;

"When the wind blows the cradle will rock... Missing something.. like maybe your baby?"

I dropped the note and I ran back to the house. I bursted through the back door, rounded the kitchen table knocking a vase off. I continued down the hall and through the door of the nursery. I ran to the cradle, there was nothing in forms of a baby, but another note lay where the infant once did.

In tears I read it out loud with a scratch in my throat. " When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall - The meadow."

I sat in tears for while thinking of what to do. I decided I better call the police department. I slowly got up from the floor, using the wall as support. Stretching and yawning, I reached for the phone. Placing it up to my ear I heard the busy tone. I put it down then picked it up again. This time all I heard was heavy breathing. A minute or two passed then silence, a rushing wind sound and a voice. Too faint to understand completely but I got a few words out of it. "Adabelle... slow... last... death" Then a click.