Chapter 1

A long time ago, in a faraway land, there was a large kingdom that ruled for generations and the royal family was loved by all its citizens. They were noble and kind, beloved and brought prosperity to the whole country. King Makarov was on the throne at that time, widower, but his four children were all he needed. The first born, Laxus, was a strong and handsome man. Brave, as he always rode first into the battle. Second was Jellal, a much more mysterious man, always found cloaked roaming the capital offering food and clothes to the poor. The third son was Natsu, a cheerful person and never one to care if he was a prince or not. And the last child was a daughter. The precious Levy. Being the youngest and the only girl amongst three older brothers, she spent her days inside the castle, as a form of protection.

Levy was never ungrateful for her life, no. She was just yearning, as the years passed, to meet new people and make friends. Apart from her family and their servants, she never met a stranger or set foot into the city. The gardens were the only place she was able to enjoy the fresh air and the sense of grass under her feet. Her brothers and father were overprotective, she knew that, but she also knew that they were allowed to go to the city and do whatever they pleased.

"Brother?" Levy called and slowly opened Jellal's bedroom door.

"What is it, Levy? I'm busy." Jellal tried to tie his cloak in front of his neck. It was old and torn, a perfect disguise for the poor district of the capital.

"Are you going to the town again?" She asked as she fumbled with her dress.

"I am. Not a word to anyone, okay? You're the only one who knows of my late night 'expeditions'." He was right. Jellal was the brother closest to Levy. Their aunts and uncles always said they looked too much alike, because of their blue hair and kind spirits, so they stuck together from a young age.

"I know....Jellal?" She took a deep breath as her brother turned to her. "C-can I come with you?"

Jellal sighed and walked in front of her, patting her shoulders. "I'm sorry, Levy. But I'm not going to the poor tonight."

"Oh, you're going to the blacksmith."

"I am. You must never tell father or our brothers about her. They will have her exiled." He shook her.

"You love her, don't you?"

Jellal only blushed and pulled back, hearing Levy laugh at his reaction. Once his color returned to normal, he kissed Levy on the forehead and tousled her hair. "'Night sis." And with that he jumped out of the window.

Levy puffed her cheeks and pouted in frustration, jumping up and down. She walked, with fast strides out of the bedroom and headed to her own. The moment she entered, she saw her personal maid fix her bed with new sheets and blankets. The blonde woman jumped when she saw Levy, and quickly bowed at her.

"Princess, I'm so sorry. I am late in fixing your bed. I am worthy of punishment." She trembled.

"Lucy, what kind of act is that? We both know I would never say that." She sighed and went to her wardrobe to change.

"I apologize, princess Levy, but we must be careful. If anyone sees me talking to royalty in such a casual way, they would throw me out of the castle." The blonde lifted the comforter on the bed.

"No worries, Lucy. If I say to father you stay, you stay. Besides, where will I find another friend like you?" The bluenette exited from the wardrobe, now clad in a thin nightgown, and hugged her best friend. "Here, I know you love those." She handed her a couple of wrapped candy that they received after dinner. Levy always sneaked a couple into her pockets and shared them with the servants.

"Thank you, princess. Have a good night."

Levy wanted as much as anything to talk to her about her desire to go outside the castle. But she couldn't. She would betray Jellal if she did. So, she decided to let it go and got lost into the softness of her freshly made bed.