Olympia

The sounds of the night were the only thing which calmed her. Creatures moving unseen, insects and amphibians calling out to one another. They still call to one another and there are creatures walking in the woods to her right and they break branches and that is their life. They were here then they disappeared unlike her. 

Leaning against a prodigious , pine tree - her arms gently crossed and watches from above as laughing teenagers stumbled out of the towns local bar across the street, alcohol in their bloodstream. She lifted her cigarette to her lips, drawing the smoke in slowly and gently blowing it out. She struggled to ignore her hunger pains as her hazel eyes which were tired followed their footsteps, her head was fuzzy and her heart pounding against her chest.

She took a last puff of her cigarette - antiquated garage sale rings on her slim fingers, then tossed it down, stepping on it with her muddy boots which wrestled with ferns. She then takes a swig from her small glass bottle of whiskey she had pulled from her bag and hopes to eliminate the hunger for the night. Without taking her eyes off the students, she puts the bottle back inside her bag and turns around to the forest from which she came, walking through small puddles, the ground was moist from rain the previous night, all this town ever did was rain..

Olympia