Day 1 : Landscape

(Thanks for reading! I hope I have improved over the years I have been writing. Even if I haven't put my stories on here.)

÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷

Taylor

I took the coffee pot off the holster and poured some of the hot sludge into an insulated cup. I hated coffee, but these days it was the only thing that helped me stay awake. I put the coffee pot back and grabbed the cup. It wasn't insulated enough if you were to ask me. I could still feel the burning hot black liquid through the tiny Styrofoam cup. I turned away from the work station that the coffee pot resided on to look for a seat to sit down in.

The room was mostly empty, only a few people arrived as early as I did. Why? Because I have nothing better to do I guess. I sat down in my seat and crossed one leg over the other. I sat on the left most side of the circle of chairs that were sprawled out in the gymnasium style room.

There were only three people sitting in the chairs across from me at the moment. A redhead wearing a baseball cap. He was a regular. Sharp chin, lined by red-orange facial hair. I guess he was attractive. He had a crooked nose and a bull ring piercing the middle. I've always like piercings, they gave guys a bad ass look. As long as they were done right. His name started with an N. Norman? No. Neal? No. Oh. Nicolas. He had been coming here for multiple weeks. I don't think he has ever spoken, but he is a great listener.

The other person in the room I had never seen before. He had hazel eyes, brown hair, and jaw that looked as if it could cut you. It was kind of mysterious having someone be here this early that had never been here before.

"Hi." I say out loud to the two gentlemen. Nicolas looks over and smiles back at me. His smile is so warm. The other man though, does not acknowledge me. That's OK. I don't need for someone to pay attention to me. I'm above that. No. No I'm not above that. Or that is what I realize when I start to walk over to him. "Hi" I repeated when I took my seat beside him. His head turned to look at me. A faint smile grasped his lips.

"Hi." He muttered.

"Are you new?" I knew the answer to that question, but I needed an excuse to talk to him. I needed him to acknowledge me. He lifted his hand to rub the back of his head. It was short, and sounded a little scratchy.

"Yeah." He replied. I guess that is a start. He takes a sip of the bottle he had beside him. I can't see what is on the inside but it doesn't smell funky so I know it's not alcohol. "I never thought that i would end up at one of these honestly."

"None of us do." I say before I even think about what I was saying.

More people started to arrive so I moved back to my original seat and took a sip of my coffee. Terrible, as usual. I looked into the cup, my reflection. I smiled back at myself.

"Hi everyone." The leader of our group says as she walks into the room. Her monotone voice reflects how she is feeling today. Glum as usual. He brown curly hair bounces as she walks to her seat and set her clear blue folder down. I honestly had no clue what was on the inside of the folder. She always brought it to the group. She always placed it on the floor next to her, and that's where it set until she left.

÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷

Nicolas

"I don't know what's wrong with me. Every week I try to stop thinking about her. Stop thinking about her face. Stop thinking about the way she smelled faintly of coconut. I just try to stop so that i can come back and tell you all that I am getting better." The man across from me spoke to the group. He was overweight. Probably in mid forties. His wife was killed in an automobile accident about six months ago. Tragic. He come here every week, though he usually doesn't speak up or talk in the meetings. Like me he was a silent listener. Someone to lend you their pity and feelings that may actually know what you're going through.That's what we are here for I guess.