Chapter One

I loved the feeling of the snow beneath my paws. I started running circles around trees. I shook the snow from my fur free. My friend Latrell ran too. He started to running off into the distance, leaving me. "Come on Hazel! It'll be fun." A voice said. I stopped running in circles and listened. "But Danny! It's cold!" Hazel yelled. I then recognized these voices. They were my friends Danny and Hazel. They don't know my secret. I rolled around in the snow to blend in with it. My fur was white so it would be hard to see me. They started to come into view. I laid still. They were laughing and playing around. Danny stopped. "What is it?" Hazel asked. He looked around then shrugged. I started to feel itchy. My ear twitched as I started rolling around in the snow. I laid on my back scratching against the ground. "Danny look!" Hazel yelled. I sat upright. "Hazel stay back! It might be dangerous." Danny said pushing her behind him. I yawned. "Is it a husky?" She asked. My ears twitches as she spoke. "It's a wolf." He said stepping towards me. I growled when he got closer. He scratched his head and walked back to Hazel. "I wonder what it's doing here. We never get wolves." Hazel said facing Danny. I heard Latrell running to my aid. He stood beside me and sniffed me. I sniffed him too. He smelled like blueberries. "Is it safe for them here?" Hazel asked concerned. Latrell turned to look at them. He didn't recognize them. He wouldn't have these are my friends. Latrell and I don't even go to the same school. He growled at them. I barked to him saying it's okay. He stopped. "I dunno. They could have rabies." Danny said. I layed in the snow. Latrell nuzzled me then ran off. "It left it here?" Hazel said stepping closer. I lifted my head up. "Careful Hazel." Danny said as she stepped closer. "If it bites you.. I'll hit it with this rock." Danny said picking up a rock. I looked over at him. "It's fine. See look." She said placing her hand on my head. My ears twitched as I sat up. "So cute." She said looking at Danny still holding a rock. I stood up and walked over to him. "Get!!" He yelled at me swatting a stick. I took the stick from him and snapped it. "Why do I even bother?? It's a stupid animal it can't understand me." He said bending down to me. I growled softly. He looked at me. I glared at him. "Weird." He said standing up. "Well, let's go." He said to Hazel. She walked beside him and they started to walk out of the woods. The snow was starting to melt. It was still freezing. I started to make my way back to Latrell. His scent was everywhere. It wasn't hard to follow it. I went pass a few bushes. I came to a opening. Latrell was eating a bird. I ignored him and smelled a bush of berries. They were poison. I stepped away and howled for Latrell. He came trotting out. Our laws used to be very sensitive to the snow. But they're bruised so much it doesn't matter. I yawned. My wolf was tired. Many people from our pack didn't understand there wolves. Wolves have there own spirit and feelings. Many don't understand that and try to control there wolf. That isn't good. The wolf is stronger then the human side. Mom had told me this. Before she went missing. I'm pretty capable of living by myself. I have a apartment. Sometimes I sleep in the woods because I find it quieter. Especially during winter. No one hardly comes through here then. I don't have a way to contact Latrell. I can only howl for him or find his scent. I felt like it was time to go home. Even with a bit of snow we still have to attended school here. I live in Washington, D.C. Latrell lives in Virginia. We always meet half way. Or on rare times like this, he comes to me. Either way is fine to me. I like having another werewolf around. Sometimes it's good to talk to someone about these things. I have a Aunt but she thinks the whole thing is weird and doesn't talk about it with me. If I'm around her I have to be in my human form. Always. It kinda sucks but oh well I guess. I've been friends with Hazel and Danny for a while. Danny sometimes acts a bit strange though. I dismissed my thoughts. I started to walk back home.