Have To See

"Only three more boxes!" Link called out, lifting the cardboard out of the trunk.

"You sure you got that one, Locke?" I asked, as my son struggled to carry a box towards the house.

"I, uh- It's heavy..."

"Here," I grabbed it out of his hands, easily lifting it in my arms.

"Sorry... I wanted to help," Locke mumbled, walking with me towards the front door.

"You're fine Locke."

"I got the last ones," Link said, grabbing the container out of my arms, scurrying inside before I could stop him.

"What do 'ya think?" I asked, crouching down to sit on the porch steps.

"It's nice..." Locke sat beside me, hunching his shoulders. He looked so fragile like this, so vulnerable. His world has been shattered beneath him, and there isn't anything I can do to fix it.

Not knowing what to do, I awkwardly wrapped my arm around Locke's shoulders.

"How'd you and mom meet?" Locke croaked out.

I wasn't expecting that question.

"Um, in church. I was in college, and your mom was still in highschool..." I mumbled.

"And you and Link met in the first grade?"

"Yeah."

"Do you think mom will forgive us?"

"What?" I asked. "You did nothing wrong, Locke, there's nothing to be forgiven."

Locke shifted, brushing a curl off his face. "So, we're 'gon live in this house from now on?"

"Yeah... We're closer to Link's house, so you and Lincoln can go to the park still... Everything will be okay."

Locke stayed silent for a while, staring at the ground.

"You think you and Link will get married?" Locke whispered. I couldn't help but laugh a little.

"I don't know, Locke," I sighed. "We'll have to see."