Everything Has Changed {THE WATTYS}

Bridget reached down to pick up her valuable bracelet her father had bought her when she was a newborn baby. Everyone looked at her with sorry in their eyes. Relatives surrounded in her living room with her mother in front of her with her last birthday gift. It was a small box, and Bridget already knew what it was. Her mother can remember every detail the day Bridget was born.

Her mother, sweaty from labor, reached out to hold her barley aged newborn in her tiny arms. Mary, that was her name, was a tiny woman and always had been even as a child. She was born pre-mature, that’s why. She prayed that the baby wouldn’t be the same for she was always teased about her size.

She pulled the unnamed newborn close to her warm heart, which at the moment was filled with so much excitement; she began to cry of happiness, as any new mother would do.

Her husband, Marshall, then walked in after leaving directly the baby’s birth to get her surprise. He walked near the hospital bed and kneeled down to reach it’s height.

“Here,” he said placing a sparkly, dainty circle of jewels in Mary’s palm. “It’s for the baby.” He paused looking at the beauty his wife held in her hands. “Each year we will put another charm on until she’s eighteen; when she becomes a woman. After that, it will be complete and she can keep it for all her days forward.”

“This is the best gift in the universe, my little marshmallow.” He leaned down for a kiss and she smothered his lips with red tinted lipstick from their date, where her water unexpectedly broke. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” He replied.

Mary zoomed back into reality.

“Here sweetheart,” Mary said as a tear fell down her cheek. “I know your father isn’t here to see this, but I know he’s watching proudly up in Heaven.”

Bridget replied with a smile and pulled off the pink, silk ribbon and the top of the box to reveal a sparkling, butterfly gem sitting on a velvet covered box. Under the charm, was a note. She pulled out the paper to see an old piece of parchment paper. It read:

My dearest Bridget,

Happy Birthday Bridget. I hope you’re having a good one? I can’t belive you are now a woman. I want you to know something. I love you very much. This final charm is very important. I want you to understand the meaning of this butterfly; this means i want you to grow up a strong, independent woman and spread your wings and fly. Happy Brithday.

Love, Father

________________________________________________________________________________

what do you think? leave criticism below please xx. xo maria

published; November 5, 2013 at 10:47 a.m

505 words