The Flip Side

Alex rubbed his eyes. The harsh sunlight filtered in through the standered issued military desert tent. He looked down at his watch. It was almost half past 4 am. He had been here for days, waiting for the sign that another rift was opening.

   When he took the job, he thought that it would be ok. Just a few weeks paid vacation to Africa, and all he had to do was make sure that nothing could come throgh the rift site. Alex was 24 years old then, when he still belived that what he was doing was right, when he still belived that the Agencey was protecting everyone.

   How wrong he was, as he was just about to find out. He woke up his parter Mack. It was time for his morning patrol around the compound. Mack groaned. "Wake up you big tub of lard!" Alex yelled while clapping his hands together. His friend turned over in his bed and gave him the stink eye. It was something that he did every morning for 2 years.

   Alex would get up first, then wake Mack up, then they would go on their patrol. "Alright," Mack said while pushing himself out of bed. As his friend was getting his armor on, Alex walked out of the tent and squinted. The harsh light was hurting his eyes until he activated the tint mode on his helmet. This was the best part of the job. Wearing the armor.

   It was a Mk. 4 combat armor with a hydrolic cooling system, 1 10mm minigun,  and 1 ark de-stabilizer for the rift. As Alex scanned his surroundings, he saw the same sight as he did everyday. Rolling hills of sand, parsialy ubstructed by the 10 foot wall that streched 3 and a half miles around the compound. Compounds like this were meant to be manned by a force of 100, not 3, but under these circumstances, it was best that the least amount of people knew about this as possible.