Chapter 1

Beep…….Beep………Beep……….Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee………

I laid there in the hospital bed next to my sister. I knew it was over. She was gone. Gone and never to return. That long continues beep told me. I began to cry while doctors and nurses filled the room. I was quickly rolled out to be taken to another area of the hospital. I knew they were going to try to help her but I also knew that she was gone. All I could do was lay there knowing that is was my fault, knowing that I’m the reason why my little sister had just died. I was the cause of her death and I would have to live with that for the rest of my life.

Over the next few days I lay in my hospital bed watching the news. Remembering what happened that night. It was going to be one of the most important local stories for the rest of the week.

“Teen car accident kills one, severely injures another, and leaves one with few problems.  The 18 year old driver by the name of Kathleen Bell lay in her hospital with a few scratches and a few broken bones. 18 year old Kathleen was driving a black sports car home from a party late that night. She began to feel sick while driving. She swerved into the wrong lane. She heard her sister scream from the passenger side to look out. Before she could get back into the right lane a red pickup trucks rammed into the front of her car. The car began to flip and the truck began to spin out of control.  Kimberly Bell, sister of Kathleen Bell, did not have a seat belt on. She flew through the windshield of the car and had major brain injuries.  Kimberly Bell was pronounced dead within an hour of being in the hospital.  The driver of the red pickup truck, name to be kept anonymous, is now in the hospital with serve injuries. Doctors are not positive if he’ll make it. Now back to Tiffney Majors with the weather report. “

Look what I had done. I killed my sister and possibly another. I couldn’t bare being alive. Why did I make it out okay and not the others? Why wasn’t it me instead of my sister?  My racing thoughts came to a quick halt as my parents walked in.

“Hi Kathleen.  How are you honey?”

“I think I’m doing well. I would really, really like to go home now. This isn’t were I want to be mom. I want to be home…… in my bed.” I told her as I began to shed a tear.

“We’ll be able to take you home today, but first we have to tell you something honey,” my dad looked at me with sadden eyes. I just knew that they were hurting deep down inside. They were trying to stay strong for me.

“What’s wrong dad?” I asked, trying to stay strong. I had no idea how they could do it.

“Well, the guy involved in the accident. He was pronounced dead a few minutes ago.” That’s when I completely broke down. I had killed two people. I couldn’t believe it. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. How was I supposed to make it through life knowing that I killed two innocent people?  My mom came beside me and held me tight. She whispered in my ear.

“My baby it will all get better. Stay strong. This is not your fault. You guys were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It’s all okay.” I continued to hold her tight.

“Please! Just get me out of here.”