Prologue

Prologue

People breathe every second of every single day. If they are not, then it is either by choice or an outward force compelling them to do so. The first breath you take is usually hectic and possibly compulsory; the first breathes of three born so close together determined the rest of their lives.

The eldest, larger than the others, was adopted within two hours of his birth – his new parents thought there was luck to those who were born first. The boy's biological mother scoffed through her tears.

The second, also a boy, had the cord wrapped around his precious neck. There was nobody waiting to pick him up, as the couple had wanted a girl. Whisked off to be treated for the holes in his tiny heart, he was quickly and rather oddly forgotten about.

The girl they would have liked had been claimed early on; the couple that held her in their arms as if she were made of crystal could hardly thank the young parents enough.

They went separate ways, the three children and their young biological parents. Time wore on, their paths crossed ever so briefly; but not once did anything peculiar happen.

That is until one cold day in late October.

A/N: A little short story that I finished a few months ago, and wrote over a few years. I hope you enjoy!

Rose