Chapter One

A/N : New book, this chapter is pretty much an intro so I'm keeping it short & sweet, trust me it gets better.

--------

Africa's P.O.V :

Have you ever been so mad that you're
calm? My situation right about now.

Deep breaths.
Inhale and exhale.

I do not need this negative energy to engulf me. Not today.

With one swift movement I pick up my bag, heading towards the door, not planning on coming back. Not any time soon.
I could hear Jay's footsteps scurrying down the stairs, he ran round in front of me.
"No wait! please!" The desperation was evident. His hand grabbed onto my arm firmly.
"Get off," I said, keeping my cool, yanking my arm from his grip. His arm lingered in mid air, waiting for me to take hold. I looked at his arm before meeting his eyes.
"No, you done did me dirty, not once but twice," I flicked his arm away, he flinched. He blew it and he knows it.
I stepped outside, the cold rain pricking at my bare arms like little needles. I shivered slightly. Jay must have noticed because he outside too, shrugging of his hoodie and wrapping it around my shoulders. I shrugged it off, I walked out further; leaving him looking distraught on the porch. Lost even. Like a little boy,
"I was putting in 100% Jay, you've been putting hardly any effort into this, don't you want it to work?"
He slumps his head.
Our relationship has been a rocky road, I've known him since we were 8, we were best friends, we should've listened to everyone, we should've stayed as just friends. Love, see that's when things get complicated. I never imagined my self getting cheated on, nor played. Especially not by Jay. If one of my best friends could hurt me like this then who is there to trust?
I didn't notice his presence as he stood right by me, not until he spoke.
"Please, Africa," He choked, he was on the verge of tears, "You don't understand,"
I turn to face him fully, tears forming in my eyes.
"Was I not enough?" I say.
"You're more than enough," He said, trying to take hold of my hand. I didn't let him.
"So why do it? Who was it? Who's the girl?" I ask, proud of my self for staying so calm. His head hung in shame.
"It doesn't matter, your the one for me not her," He says, his watery eyes meeting mine.
"You won't leave me, will you?" He says, his voice shaking. I turn away.
"Jay, don't make this any harder for me, please," I whisper, "I'm don't want to be second best to everything and everyone anymore. I'm done being a second option, second best , second best to Asia and Amani, second best to-"

"You won't! Never," Jay whispers.
"I'm in a bad-," He begins

"Careful, you'll wake all the neighbours," A voice says. I turn to see my twin, Asia, standing there in all her glory.

"Mom sent me to come get you, It's getting late," she says.
I turn back to face Jay,
"I need time, please just -".

"I'm sorry, am I invisible? Africa!"
Asia says, her patience clearly wearing thin.
I turn to walk away, shooting a glance back at Jay, I mouth to him, "Give me time,"

I can't see myself coming back from something like this but hey, one step at a time. I have a good heart. Pure.

-------

"And here we can see the lone humming bird scanning for -"
I switch off the TV, sighing. Even birds are happier than me.
Out of the corner of my eye I see Asia look at me, "What are you thinking?" she asks, her voice laced with concern.

I look at her, I know my facial expression was looking very blank, before looking back at the blank TV screen.
Asia nudges me, "Hey, you know I was never good with this twin telepathy stuff," she says.

I huff before sticking my spoon into the ice cream tub, I then devour another spoonful of strawberry delight. Comfort eating, the only thing that gets me through my shamble of a life.
"I bet you hate him," Asia says, breaking the silence, "I know I definitely would,".

"I wish I did, but I can't. I love him, he cheated on me but I love him, It's going to take time, he's hurt me real bad, who's to say I can get over this," I whined. I pause to think.

"He did seem really sorry, Asia, maybe there is an explanation?" I pause again.

Asia shifts in her seat and clears her throat, "Well do you know with who?"

"No, he won't say. I know it was at Mariahs party though..."
It could've been anyone.
"Hey Asia, weren't you at her party? Did you see Jay?"

"No,"
Asia gets up, "If he won't tell you it might be best to drop it, finding out could do more harm than good," she says before going up to her room.

I get up myself. I catch sight of my self in the mirror. My olive complexion is somewhat blotchy. Tear streaks all over my face. My cheeks are stained a rosy pink, my eyes blood shot. My hair, stuffed into a messy topknot with my baby hairs flying all over the place. If the phrase 'emotional wreck' was a person it would be me. Africa.

I'm Africa. Africa Boutrife. Unique, I know, as am I. Unique yet overlooked, second-best to everyone, basic. Nothing special. Not like Asia, Asia's quite the opposite from everything I've listed. Sure we may look alike, we had the same long dark hair, slim 5'6 frames and hazel eyes, but we couldn't be more different, just like the continents themselves. She's all glitzy and glamorous whilst I'm plain & studious.
Speaking of studious, school started soon it would be the same routine; everyone gushing over Asia whereas for me, no one would batter an eyelid at me unless I was with Asia. Asia was the one the boys wanted, the one that girls longed to be friends with I mean, sure I had friends, A boyfriend - well ex-boyfriend but Asia had much more friends, many more potential boyfriends. I was shy, she was not. She was a party animal; me? Not so much.
As I said before hand we look as similar as twins can possibly be; so why is it everyone's instantly more interested in getting to know Asia? Because she has a $60 blow-dry? Talk about prejudice.

See, my mother always told me, "What you allow is what will continue,".
She is very much correct. Why am I letting people assume that I'm boring, plain, anti-social. I'm so much more under all the layers of shyness even if anxiety is constantly wrapped around me like a blanket. Time for changes.
I won't be looked over, not anymore.

I can't live my life an actor in someone else's movie; I have to make my own life, not living in someone else's shadow. Right?
The thought of a new look had been on my mind for a while now but I never was set on it.

But what better time than the present?

A new school year, new start, new me.

Tempshaw High and the rest of my city won't know what's hit it.

------

A/N:

Trust me when I say this story gets very saucy. This as you may know is a brief introduction to the 2 main characters. Next chapter up soon. Every 3 chapters or so I will change the chapter to Asia's POV as this story isn't just based on Africa. Asia's POV would only be for one chapter at a time thought xx

Vote, Comment, Follow xx

Romay <3