Flickman Abbey

February 23, 1925

As I ride down the gray pebble road surrounded by old cedar trees, I look out the window to observe my new home Flickman Abbey. The rolling hills and numerous ponds would be appealing to most visitors, but to me it is a prison. A prison created by my mother in order to mold me into a lady. Mother was not happy about my aspirations to be a doctor and travel the world. According to her I am to be a Lady, wife, and mother.

Aunt Amelia has a few months before The Season starts in order to make me, as mother would say, presentable.

February 27, 1925

I have been at Flickman Abbey for a few days now and I am absolutely appalled at the practices here. Lord and Lady Rose absolutely insist that we wear floor length gowns to dinner and that we must meet in the drawing room downstairs and hour before dinner.

Then at dinner, servants scoop out green beans and cut cakes for me. As if I'm not capable myself!!! Lady Rose says that we are members of the upper class and that we cannot simply fix our plates ourselves.

The only things ladies can do by themselves at the abbey is to walk around in the gardens, which are quite beautiful, but become boring after walking through them a few times. Apparently I MUST have a man to help me walk the grounds and to ride through the woods. I can't even drive myself to town!!

How am I going to survive!?!?

The past few days and the practices within them have made me despise becoming a lady even more.