Touchable

I knew that one day my temper would catch up to me and I would pay for it. I work at a night club. Everyone in da' hood calls it “The G Spot". It’s the hottest nightclub in Raleigh, North Carolina. I work as a bouncer there; well the technical title is ‘Security’. I’ve been doing this type of work for years. In this line of work you learn a lot about people. I feel like I’ve seen and heard it all from both males and females.

Over the years, I’ve learned that niggas only understand one thing: getting’ beat the fuck up! You just can’t talk to them like they have any sense that would be giving some people in my opinion to much credit if you ask me. They respect only the UBD (Universal Beat Down), which is sad, but sometimes necessary to get your point across.

I’ve also had the opportunity to meet people from all walks of life and from all over the world in my line of work. Now, normally those people can’t speak a lick of English, but guess what? A UBD is universal and is understood regardless of a person’s language or ethnicity. I think it is one of the few phrases that mean’s the same thing regardless of the language barrier and all people appear to understand it’s meaning the same.

With that being said, I can tell you that not everyone will take an “L” (loss) without promising revenge on the other person. They tend to feel obligated to get even. That’s totally different from how it was back when I was growing up. Back then if you got into a fight, whatever the issue is you were fighting over ended with that fight. The outcome of the fight was final. There was not retaliation. You just dealt with it if you happened to be the one that lost. That doesn’t mean that all the fights back then were fair. You could have gotten jumped by a few people, but the unwritten rule remained the same…whatever the outcome, it was the final solution. Now you may have ended up with quite a few bumps and bruises, but at least you LIVED!

In my case, revenge was definitely the problem. Because of someone wanting to get even, I now leave my kids fatherless and my mother childless. I don’t like that, especially for my kids because my father died when I was younger and it was hard on me. I didn’t want my kids to have to experience those things, but now they’ll have to. Now that I think about it, it was very selfish of me to act before I had thought of the repercussions. It’s too late now. I can’t re-do the past, although I wish I could. After making that bad decision, I would see real soon the events that would unfold and change my life forever.

It was a crazy Sunday night. Sundays, believe it or not, were always packed nights. You would think that since the next day would be Monday, everyone would turn in early either for work or for the purpose of waking up early to go to school. We had a lot of college students that was in the club every Sunday like it was nothing. I know I would think, every Sunday “Don’t these people work or don’t they have lives either then the club?” You may even assume that they had come from church earlier in the day; however, that is not the case. The entry lines would be wrapped around the building. The greedy owner would charge outrageous prices because he wanted to turn some of the people away. But that didn’t work because people would actually pay the high price. Damn dummies!

On this particular Sunday, everyone who was anyone was there. That’s how it was every Sunday so I guess nothing was different about that part. What made this Sunday different is the fact that the Apple Chill Street carnival had occur earlier that day in Chapel Hill. Apple Chill is an annual street festival where Franklin Street is blocked off from one end to the other and vendors and artists from near and far come to have a fun day for the community. It used to be a very festive occasion. Now, it has somehow turned into a mini Bike Fest like Myrtle Beach has around Memorial Day annually.

People attend from all over North and South Carolina. They come to have a good time. Women wear very little clothing. You would think you are out walking a beach very close to a nudist colony. Many different motorcycle clubs attend this festival. There were many different cars, motorcycles, and other vehicle clubs attending. One group stood out more than the others. The group had pulled up in three different vehicles. One was an H3 Hummer; the other two was a 2007 Ford F250 and a 2007 Lincoln Navigator. Each vehicle was equipped with TV’s, GPS systems, leather interior, and a wood finish to all of them. The Hummer was canary yellow. The Ford F250 was cranberry red. The Navigator was jet black.