Dying Changes Everything - One Shot for Mrs_David_Spade

Two Months Ago.... October 20th, 1997

"Diedra! Diedra!" Chris Farley, a close friend of the Spade's, called out. Diedra, who was 5 months pregnant smiled and turned to Chris who looked happy and bright. The Spades were having their annual monthly barbeque cookout and invited Chris every month, along with a few other friends and neighbors; such as Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, and Kevin James.

"Hi Chris. What can I do you for?" she asked while pouring herself some punch. She was old fashioned that way for their barbeques. Chris laughed slightly out of breath and saw David running out of the house out of breath. She raised an eyebrow.

"David tried throwing a football at me.," he leaned in closer to her and whispered, "And boy does he suck at throwing that football." Chris bursted out laughing making David give him a look. Diedra furrowed her eyebrows at the both of them but really couldn't get mad.

"I told you boys not to throw the football around in the house." she said going inside quickly to see if any glass had been broken. She heard Chris and David behind her, bickering playfully back and forth. She saw nothing broken fortunatley. She glanced around the living room then the kitchen only for Chris to pop up in front of her and him place his hands on her shoulders and steer her back outside while saying,

"Don't worry we didn't break anything Diedra. You trust us dontcha?" he asked making her chuckle.

"I suppose I do." she said teasingly making Chris pout. Diedra laughed and went over to some friends to chat. David turned back to his close friend since high school. He had met him in Math class; they both hated the subject to a point where they both started failing the class but the teacher threatened to fail them both so they studied hard and passed.

"We were close to breaking that vase. Deidra would've killed us." David said tossing the football up and down. Chris looked at his friend.

"Us? Diedra loves me. She'd kill you." he said getting himself a soda. He knew Deidra didn't like to have alcohol at these parties since she got pregnant. David made a pfft sound.

"Nah she'll punish you too." he said making Chris smack him playfully. They then got into a wrestling match on the grass, getting tangled up and out of breath. They could hear Diedra laughing at them in the background. Eventually Chris gave in, out of breath and straightened his back.

"I'm gettin' too old to be rough housing with you." he said and David laughed, the both of them enjoying the rest of the party.

A month later.... December 18th

It was only not a month and Chris Farley's health was declining rapidly. It was the middle of December and the Spades weren't seeing much of Chris. Diedra was surprised since it was near Christmas time. She knew Chris always came over this time of year. Though, she was aware of Chris's health and how bad it was. She remembered their last visit to his home.

"Hey Diedra, David." Chris said from the couch as the Spades walked on in from the cold November air. It was quiet except for the sound of the TV filtering the house. Diedra smiled lightly and David did his best to smile brightly. But Chris knew his friends sensed his health dropping; they could see his pale skin turning paler, his voice getting hoarse and it getting more difficult to breathe.

Deidra looked around Chris's home. She saw a small Christmas tree set up in the corner with few decorations set up around the house. At least he was still in the holiday spirit. David bounced over to his friend and plopped down beside him, Diedra taking a seat in the chair across.

"What's been happening my friend? We haven't seen you around."  Chris let out a cough before smiling.

"I've been tired a lot lately and been in the hospital a lot. The doctors say my health isn't very good right now.." he said trying to hold his smile for his friends. Diedra only smiled her fake smile and David nodded, showing his concern. He patted his friend's knee.