A little intro

Dyscalculia: severe difficulty in making arithmetical calculations as a result of brain disorder

That is the clinical definition of dyscalculia. I've become more and more connected with this string of sentences over the years, mostly just to explain to people.

My name is Amalia. Otherwise known as, Molly, Stick, Amal, and even Ama by the people in my life. But, I'm writing this book, not just to represent me, but the thousands, even millions of other kids out there who can relate to my experiences of being a dyscalculic.
So, without further introduction, lets press play into a simulator of my life.

Dyscalculia is a burden to live with,
Anyone with it knows the daily struggles of surviving in a society that revolves around math and numbers.
You may not realize it, but numbers and math encircle this world wherever you go,
Think about it.
From cashiers and prices at the supermarket,
To the money you carry in your bag to the mall.
Math is everywhere, and that just makes the world we live in scarier for me, and the thousands of other people who suffer from this disorder.

It's hard to explain in words just how different life is for people like me.

The only thing we want, is to be understood.
So I'm trying to get this out there, one chapter at a time.

 Tell me, is this the first time you heard of Dyscalculia? Like, really, heard about it?
Chances are you haven't, because nobody talks about it.
I'm trying to raise awareness, and hopefully help those who have written off their symptoms as just being "dumb".

If you say you're bad at math over and over and over again. Nobody looks into it.
If you say the same thing for reading, BAM you're diagnosed.
How come this never happens to us?

In conclusion, here's an attempt at a novel written by some 8th grader named Amalia, who shares what it's like to be living in a world without numbers.

-------------