The New Plague

Chapter One - The Sting

I walked down the sandy road that every day took me home. My mom had told me that it was okay if I took the car but I loved to walk. To feel the wind on my cheeks and the stones under my feet. The school wasn't so far away from home, only about 3 km. As always the sun was high on the sky and no cloud as far as the eye could see. We lived in the outskirt of town and where we lived there was only sand and stones. It was like the freaking desert here. I had never complained but to look out of your window and see some trees would be nice. Instead when I look out from my window I only see sand. And a white building far away. According to the newspaper the building is owned by Friedman Industries. Jack Friedman is a scientist so everything that's going on in that building is restricted. I didn't give it much thought that I lived across from a maybe mad scientist. 

I had almost reached my house when a car flew by me making the sand into a storm that made me cough. When the fog had died down I looked up and saw my neighbour Shana jump out of the car. The car was a dark-green jeep of some sort. I didn't know much about cars. Shana looked over to me and laughed. Her chocolate brown hair bounced around her as she walked up to the drivers window. I was the total opposite of her. I had blonde hair and was blue eyes. She on the other hand had the darkest eyes I had ever seen. Exactly like her, dark and evil. She leaned in and gave the guy a kiss. It was probably Nathan. Shana and Nathan was the popular couple at my school. I growled under my breath as I walked by them. When I reached the fence to my house I heard the car drove away with speed. Moron I thought. I looked up at the light yellow house that stood before me. My hand rested on the white fence that surrounded the house. The house had two floors, the top floor had three bedrooms and two bathrooms. Me and my brother had to share bathroom. It was disgusting. He kept leaving his dirty magazines on the floor in front of the toilet. And one time my brother got bored so he took four tampons from my drawer and shoved them in his nose and ears. I chased him all over the house before my dad finally had enough and scolded my brother. 

I looked over to the driveway and saw that there were no cars there. That means that nobody is home. A smiled spread across my face and I began to walk to the front door. As I shoved the key inside the keyhole a sting spread across my neck. I quickly reached my hand up to it and felt my hand squish something. I took my hand down and looked at it. 

"Ugh" I said, and smeared the squished mosquito on the outside of my thigh. My neck was throbbing a bit so I brought my hand up and felt a bump. 

"Great" I said and unlocked the door. When I had closed the door behind me I threw my tote-bag on the stairs which was located just in front of the stairs, and then went in to the kitchen. I went over to the fridge and was about to open it up when I noticed that there was a yellow post-it note attached to the fridge door. 

- Don't even think about eating anything. I'm bringing home pizza. Love Mom - 

I jumped up in the air and struck my arm out and screamed "YES! Finally!" My mother has always been a health freak. Making me and my brother eat lots and lots of vegetables. I hated vegetables. Mom practically had to shove them down my throat. So it was very unlike my mother to bring home junk food but I wasn't complaining. I couldn't even remember the last time I had pizza. 

I quickly ran up the stairs and changed my clothes in to something more comfy. Gray sweat-pants and a large tank top suited me fine. When I had finished changing clothes I heard the front door close. 

"The food has arrived" My brother yelled up the stairs. I smiled and ran down as fast as I could. On the dining room table stood two boxes of pizza. I opened them up quickly to see what flavor they had gotten. One was covered in nachos. It looked like tacos only on pizza. And the second one was a pizza covered in salad and tomatoes.