Piers

Note: Thank you Imogen (EvilPeopleWereHere) for designing the cover art for this story!

Classification is a test, where people are classified into different areas of attitude. When a baby is born, the parents can raise the baby until the baby is a teenager. Then the teenagers take the test, and then proceed into the area fitting them. Ranging from 1 to 10, and 1 being the most evil, 10 being the angelic people.

It was all the same until a baby changed the rules of this society. His name is Piers.

"Our system has detected a unique error. We've never seen this one before." said the Test Manager.

The parents were worried, constantly thinking if their child was an evil person. What would they do? They were living in Area 7, and people would hate them if Piers would be lower than 5.

The developers of this test, were in shock. The results weren't fitting any of the areas. There was only one solution for this, and it would be crazy.

"Sir, your child, Piers, is the start of a new age. He is neither one, nor ten. He is eleven."

The mother looked around while she was trying to figure out if this was a dream or not. How could their son be a number that didn't exist before?

It was so nice, as soon as the news reached the cities, everyone was stunned by this event. The people of 7 cheered for days, for being able to a raise a kid like that.

However, it was not same on the Area 11.

Piers was all alone, because he was so nice, that nobody was around him

Piers was all alone, because he was so nice, that nobody was around him. He was the first and the only person to live on Area 11, a small wood cabin inside the woods.

All of the other areas were populated, Area 4 having the biggest population - 4.5 billion humans. Area 7, where Piers was born and raised, had a little more than a billion people.

And there was only one human in Area 11. Piers, with his dog, and his guitar.

Piers was the man of solitude, he wasn't an extrovert person. He was chosen as the nicest human ever, his goodness didn't even fit Area 10 which is home to the greatest person ever, Alex Wilson, saviour of thousands of people, and the inventor of Areas.

Piers loved music. When he was a little kid, his dad used to play guitar for him. Piers loved playing guitar, and his purpose of life was music. He never had a day in Area 11 without touching his guitar.

Piers was fond of solitude, but he was tired of being on the same place. He didn't want to walk on the woods anymore. He wanted to explore the world he's never seen. He wanted to experience, discover the beauties of this world. Maybe he didn't want to communicate with people, but he wanted to travel. His goodness led him to something unique, it was cool, but he felt weird all the time. He never wanted to tell his sad story to anyone if he had a chance. Because he was afraid.

But he changed his mind, and now he is happy to write these paragraphs to express his feelings.

If the rules change, and anyone comes across this log cabin, and reads this long letter, my name is Piers, and I'm glad you read my story, and found out how the best can have the feelings of the worst.

Farewell nightmares, I am free.
Welcome streams of sweet dreams that settle over me.