The Christmas Sandclock

by Peter van Gorder

Table of Contents

·         Preparations

·         The Christmas Party

·         All to Ruins

·         Living with Loss

·         A New Kind of Christmas

Illustrations by Sabine

(Narrator, a traveling minstrel:) Come gather ‘round the Christmas tree, for I have a story for you.

It is Christmastime, the time of giving. The wise men gave gifts to Jesus, the shepherds gave their love and praise, the innkeeper gave his stable, and most of all … God gave His Son to us. And this story is all about just that—giving.

— 1 —

Preparations

Count Helmut von Steinhausen lived with his wife the countess, some 200 years ago, outside the city of Winkitz, Germany. The count’s castle overlooked his fruitful vineyards basking on the gentle slopes of Saxony. Under his protection were some 20,000 people in surrounding villages.

It was early December, a time when the count usually met with his advisors to take stock of what had been accomplished that year, and to plan goals for the coming year. Many problems faced them—the big­gest one was whether they would escape Napoleon’s armies. Would their tiny land also be swallowed by the war spreading through Europe?

One of his advisors asked nervously, “How will we pay for an army to defend ourselves?”

Another suggested, “You must raise taxes on the villagers.”

The count looked out of his window, deep in thought, then said, “That I will not do. The villagers have enough burdens.”

“But sire, our coffers* are dangerously low.”

The count answered, “The Lord has blessed me with fertile vineyards that pro­duce good table wine. I live comfortably off the sale of my wine. God has given me riches to share—not to hoard.”

“But Count Steinhausen, this is not good business sense!”

“Haven’t you read in the Bible about the rich fool who built bigger barns, then lost it all in one night? My life’s philoso­phy is summed up in the verse: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

“I understand, sire. But perhaps…”

Just then the countess burst into the room. “Enough talk of business! We must begin our preparations for the Christmas party!”

“Right, Liebchen*!” the count said affectionately to his wife. “This is the time when love can shine the brightest. Let’s make the most of it.”

Then the count turned to his coun­selors and asked, “Have the village elders given you the guest list yet?”

One replied, “Not yet, but I could supply you with a list of the wealthiest families in our realm. It would be wise policy to invite them, sire.”

“My good man, try to understand,” the count answered. “We will do as we have always done, and invite the orphans, the disadvantaged, the handicapped, the disabled, and the poor.”

“If I may ask, sire, how would you benefit by inviting them?”

“Jesus told us to invite not our family or rich friends to our feasts, but the poor and handicapped,” the count explained.