Diary of a Teenage Literary Freak.

Prologue:

Read and write your way to your next A+ read the assignment sheet.

Miss D’Angelo had just passed out to our Year 11 English class this year’s assignment.  Groans emerged from the class, mostly from near the back which of course made sense as that’s where the “cool” kids sat.  They’re the ones you’re most likely to see win awards for sports rather than academics. They are the ones who you will see spending their Saturday nights at the football games and dancing the night away at the hottest parties. They are the A-List of Harperville High.

Me on the other hand, your Miss invisible couldn’t wait to get started on the assignment. Read at least a book a week, and with each book read you are to write a diary entry relating your everyday life to the book you’ve read. To me, that was fantastic as my mind started racing with lists of titles to read from, should I go with classics like Pride and Prejudice or add a mixture with contemporaries like Sundays at Tiffanys by James Patterson.

Who am I you wonder? My name is Skye Rodgers; I’m the type of girl who blends in with the crowd. The girl that goes unnoticed until one day I’ll do something famous and everyone will be like “Hey, isn’t that the chick that went to school with us ? “. I’m the girl that will sit in the front section of class and listen to the teacher, take notes down and at lunchtimes work in the library.

That’s why this year’s English assignment is going to be a breeze and you my faithful readers or whomever hands this project might end up in are going to be in for a ride through the world of books and the inner sanctum of moi.

Entry #1:

 “It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman in possession of the perfect outfit must have an occasion to wear it to”.

Oh, how I wished I could have danced the ball at Netherfield hung out with Mr Darcy and met the manipulative Mr Wickham as I read through the pages of my dog-eared copy of Pride and Prejudice.

The world of Pride and Prejudice seemed so magical and happy, to be part of the Bennett family and to dance the night away at Balls and parties hosted by the rich and handsome.  To meet a Mr Darcy and have him eventually head over heels in love with me. 

If only life was like it was in books, my family is nothing like the Bennett’s though we do have our fair share of dysfunctional. I think the saying that they put the fun in dysfunctional rings true when people describe my family.

 There’s my dad Aaron who spends most of his time going between his office at home and his actual job making sure we have everything we need and never have to suffer the feeling of going without and my mum Courtney whose life revolves around event planning and belonging to every charity that you could imagine from Autism Awareness to the SOLL which stands for Society of Ladies who Lunch. My older sister Lily is in the A-List, she’s  managed to inherit my mother’s fashion sense and dreams of being the next New Zealand’s Top Model either that or being the next New Zealand Idol.  Anything to have her fifteen minutes of fame of being in the spotlight and then there’s  my younger brother Scott is heavily into of course his Xbox and trying to be like his hero Johnny Knoxville , which of course means many trips to the emergency room at the local hospital.  Then slipped between Miss A-List and the Johnny Knoxville wannabe is me Skye. I managed to get my mother’s looks – the willowy body and long blonde hair, pair that with a preppy look and black rimmed glasses and you have me. I would rather have my head in a book than be the centre of attention like Courtney and my idea of fun is curling up with a good book or spending my time writing in my journal and jotting ideas of stories and adventures unlike Scott who would live outside if he could.