Our Past. My Present. His future.

Chapter One

I walked through the royal white hallway that was all too familiar. I was willing to give up right there and then. The hallway was endless and it seemed like there was nothing on the end to keep me going, no motivation, and no goal. But then at the middle of the familiar hallway stood a guy wearing a blue jacket and baggy jeans with his back turned towards me. As I close the distance between us he started to turn his head…Then everything was jerked off, out of my reach. The mystery guy, gone. I blinked then blinked a couple more. I was back in my best friend’s car and I can see what pulled me out my untouchable, out of reach dream. We were stuck in traffic and my best friend was horning the horn like it was its last. “Andrew, what the hell? I was having a good sleep and I wake up with you raping the horn!” Okay, slight change with the “best friend” phrase. This wasn’t a girlfriend best friend. This was a guy best friend. Andrew Mayer to be exact. Been best friend with him since the day we were born, shared a crib together and our moms were best friends and now so are we. 

“Seriously, A. You know I love you but you really know how to get under my nerves.” I continued, I was still pissed that my dream was taken away from me just as my mystery dream guy was about to turn his head. 

“Sorry, Sleeping Beauty. Were stuck in traffic for over 35 minutes now and it’s pissing me off. Anyway, I do know how to get under your nerves, don’t I?” He smiled at me with those drop dead gorgeous eyes and perfect teeth. I rolled my eyes while he said, “You know you still love me.”

“Unfortunately,” I replied while I was yawning. I dug through his bag looking for something interesting and something to get my mind off the traffic and my dream. 

“Your mom called,” he said carefully. He knew my mother and I’s relationship is a complicated subject and something that should not be brought up with me especially when I’m mad. That got everything off my mind. 

“What’d she say?” I said stiffly through tight lips. 

“Easy, babe. She’s just checking in on you. She is your mother, you know.” He replied, looking at me and the road. We were finally moving and the air helped me not to punch the next person I see even though I was in the car. I was skilled like that. 

“Well, A, it doesn’t seem like she is.” I exhaled sharply.  “For years now she’s abandoned that role and many more things. You of all people know that.”

“I know, I know. Sorry. I just thought that I’d bring it up since she did call,” he reached his hand and took my hand, squeezed it once and let go. And that alone was enough to calm me down. It’s why he and I worked. We just balance each other out. 

“So, I heard some chick is crushing on you hard core, A.” I said teasingly and laughed. It was nothing new; girls always fall at Andrew’s feet. Honestly? Who wouldn’t? He has the deepest, bluest eyes mixed with a purple tinge. His black hair complimented his very kissable yet muscular lips. Down to his much ripped body, one is just never enough with Andrew. You kind of have to drink him in, and even that isn’t enough. 

“Urgh,” he groaned, “Come on, A. Someone already has my heart.” He looked and winked at me. I laughed but we both knew there was always a serious part when it comes to this. He told me the truth last year on our anniversary, something that we celebrate every year just for our friendship. We both promised to our moms that we will always take of each other and not one of us has broken that promise yet. As I relive our last anniversary, the 19th anniversary, I heard his words. “Truth is, A. I love you,” he looked at me sincerely.

“I know that, A. I love you too,” I replied, none hesitant at all. Because I do.

“No, A. You’re not hearing me. I’m in love with you,” he replied and something triggered in my heart and mind. It broke my heart to let him down. But at least now he was most opened about it and our friendship did not change one bit.