「Chapter・One」

Chapter One

Are You Kidding Me?

T H I R D P O V

"Wait, seriously?" A buff man covered in piercings asked the salmonette, "Yeah," the boy replied lazily.

"I mean, think about it. I already played basketball, baseball, soccer, tennis, lacross, I was on the swim, track and cross country team and the only thing left for me to do is football. Besides golf, that is."

The buff guy crossed his arms in front of his chest, tapping his foot gently on the gray tiles of the school hallway. "Yer actually joinin' football this year?" He asked in surprise and sighed. Natsu watched his reaction with amusement, and crossed his arms, shifting his weight to his left leg.

"Tell ya what? If ya wanna get through tryouts, ya gotta get in shape. Coach is fucking strict." Gajeel grunted. Natsu nodded swiftly with a slight smirk on his face, "I'm already pretty fit, but if you say so then aight."

The pinkette shoved his hands into his pockets after they said their goodbyes, turning to walk away just as a short blonde walked past him.

That was Lucy Heartfilia.

Her golden blonde hair flew past her as her brown eyes stared straight ahead, her path directed to her English class. Natsu followed soon after considering they shared the lesson together.

He knew her from afar, she was the quiet introvert who sat behind him in class due to the assigned seats. Anytime the teacher called on her, she had the right answers, leading him to assume she was a studious student who most likely had A's.

She was pretty and all, but he was into girls who played sports. Reading and studying are not sports.

At least he didn't think so.

He made his way to his desk, sauntering to his row with his hands deep in his pockets and his hood up, covering his messy salmon spikes.

"No hoods in class." Mr. Clive said in a dull voice, his statement clearly directed at him. Natsu sighed and sat down in his strangely warm seat. He scowled and gently tilted his head back to let his hood fall off his hair.

With a slight tap of the fabric, he realised he most likely let the hood fall onto the desk of the blonde behind him. He tilted his head forward, sitting up in order to not annoy the girl. She would most likely be bothered by the gray hood on her desktop, possibly covering a worksheet she could have been working on.

"Thank you, Mr. Dragneel." The teacher nodded, proceeding to tuck away his porn magazines to teach his class after the bell rung. "So last class we talked about the history of Leonardo da Vinci and his rivalry with Michael Angelo..."

The man's voice faded into the background as Natsu's mind began to wander as usual. Damn, I forgot to ask Gajeel where the sign up sheets were. Tryouts are tomorrow right? I think the sheets will be taken down tomorrow by lunch, so I'll check them out after class.

"Dragneel, I asked you a question." Mr. Clive said firmly with a look of annoyance. "Can you repeat it?" Natsu grunted, the red haired man rolled his eyes, "Ms. Heartfilia, can you help Mr. Dragneel out?" He asked with a raised brow.

"Raphael was a pupil of da Vinci." The girl said calmly, her fingers twisting a pencil in boredom. Natsu rolled his eyes, How was I supposed to know that?

He looked down at the textbook in front of him, which, according to everyone else's books around him, he should have opened by now.

He turned in his desk just as the teacher went to write something on the board. "What page?" He asked the blonde, her eyes averting from her book to his face.

She raised a brow, "Two seventy two." She replied quietly.

He nodded and faced forward, quickly turning to said page. He scanned it, looking for a way to figure out how he should have had the answer to the question Mr. Clive had asked him.

The top of the page had a question in bold, stating what the chapter was about;

Who was Raphael in the Renaissance?

He bit his tongue at his carelessness, "I guess you should have done the homework." He heard the girl say.

He turned back to the blonde, "I guess I have a life." He retorted.

She rolled her eyes, "Just shut up and face the teacher."

"Make me."

Her eyes suddenly changed for a second, in a frightening way. A flicker of something that looked like it said she would accept the challenge, but as quickly as the spark came, it was gone. She looked up for a split second before quickly averting her eyes down at her textbook.

"What?" Natsu asked, pausing as he felt eyes burning into his back. He began to turn in his seat, ever so slowly as his fear of what he had assumed grew.

He was met with the cold, hard glare of Mr. Clive.

"Detention, Dragneel."

Damn you, Heartfilia.

He grunted and slouched back on his seat, purposefully letting his gray hood fall back onto Lucy's desk.

She flicked it off with a look of distaste, "You are infuriating." She mumbled, catching Natsu's high quality hearing.

"Oh yeah? Sucks." He replied with a roll of his eyes.

"Shut up, Pinkie Pie." He smiled at the stupid nickname.

"Someone watches My Little Pony." Natsu snickered. "And how would you know?" She asked with a smirk, knowing he would have to admit that he watches said show.

He smirked as well, still facing the front of the classroom. "My younger sister watches, and I just happen to be the one who has to put up with her non-stop fangirling."

Lucy huffed in annoyance, "Oh and by the way..." the bell rang, "It's salmon, not pink."

Before she could speak her comeback, he threw on his bag with a lick of his lips.

"Fuck you." She grumbled under her breath. "Oh wouldn't you like to?" He asked sarcastically, "Sorry, Heartfilia, but you ain't my type." He dismissed her with a quick, "Later, Luigi." And added a taunting salute, his smirk still visibly noticable.
He ruffled his hair and walked out of the classroom.

She threw her bookbag over her shoulder and called out to him once she was in the hallway,

"It's Lucy!" She said angrily.

He looked back at her for a second, the smirk looking permanent on his features, he winked, "Yeah, whatever."