Scene 1- The Franklin Incident

Star Trek: The Motion Picture Script

-Paramount logo-

*take note, all space scenes MUST be silent unless explicitly stated no to be.

The paramount logo moves out of sight, and we see a nebula-ish gas object. The camera quickly moves past it, and we see the tiny ship, one nacelle on top, and a small engineering hull, with the saucer in between. The camera moves towards the ship and the ship grows bigger and bigger. We hear some sort of sonar sound, as we get closer, the camera turns and we are revealed that we were seeing the ship UP-SIDE DOWN. We hear indistinct chatter

-SWOOSH-

A door opens and we are behind a person. On a bridge.

ROMÉO PARIS

Report.

SCIENCE OFFICER

(Confused)

The object seems to be some sort of a space time rupture, with a plasma storm covering it. Our sensors cannot seem to identify the atomic or subatomic composition, including its quantum state. However, it seems that it is emitting large amount of anti-matter radiation.

ROMEO

Interested

Could this be a Klingon creation, or a tactical object of some sort of an alien civilization?

SCIENCE OFFICER

I do not believe so. From our sensor readings, the energy readings are fluctuating, and would be useless even if anyone attempted to harness its energy output.

ROMEO

Interesting, Shipmen, (points at Communications) Shipmen, continue our scans until we can determine the source of this anomaly.

COMM OFFICER

YESSI-

BOOM

The ship shakes vigorously ONCE. Crew shakes, and some fall. Sparks appear, and lights and console turns off. About 50% of the consoles and lights turns back on a second later.

ROMEO

As he helps the science officer up from floor/ scratches on face, clothes not so tidy.

REPORT!

OFFICER 1

Sir, Deflectors are down and warp drive offline. Impulse engine functioning at 60% power output.

OFFICER 2

Hull breaches on deck 4,5,6 and 12. Life Support are also failing on deck 12

COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER

We damaged our main Sensor array, Subspace is down and communication limited to standard radio.

ROMEO

Evacuate crew from those decks, and cut life support on affected decks, divert all power to maintaining shields and sensors. Divert all crew to repair communications and propulsion. We can't survive alone this close to the Klingons!

Whoosh! The turbolift opens, and a Woman (captain) comes aboard. Looks to Romeo.

Officer I