The Happy Few

Somewhere across distant lands, there was a land of peace and happiness. Then there was a land of depression, hunger and poverty. The 2 lands once lived in harmony until a man stopped taking the beloved joy pills that was what kept the land from sadness. The man's name was Arthur Hastings. He lived happily with his wife and children but when he forgot to take his joy, he had flashbacks. Flashbacks of what the world was like in the past, before the joy pill had been invented. The world was corrupted, broken. Everything was terrible. The joy pill made everything seem so enjoyable. The real world was disheartening and wretched place. It was his son's birthday when poor old Arthur forgot to take the pill. It was time for the pinata, one of the best parts of a birthday, when halfway through. He realised. It was not a pinata. "Come on, smash it Arthur!" Said his wife. "Well, if you insist." He then walks up to the pinata to take a swing. When he broke it's back open, blood came out. Not lollies, just blood. Arthur was confused. He looked at his hand in disbelief. This was no ordinary pinata. When he went to look back at the pinata, it was a bleeding, squirming rat. His joy ran out. His family when over to the chunks of parts that had flown off of the 'pinata'. They were eating it! "Would you like some candy, Arthur?" His wife offered. Arthur then took off with a burst of speed. "Wait a minute, I thought there was something fishy about you! He's gone off his joy! WE'VE GOT A DOWNER!" Yelled his wife. The sirens then started going. The cops were on Arthur's tail. "Stop right there, downer!" Said the cops. Arthur kept running trying to get the cops off his tail until he came to a door Arthur tried to pull the metal door open but as much as he tried it won't budge. He turned around to find the cop right behind him he picked up the nearest pile but as he turned around the cop pushed him onto the ground then knocked him out. (Then this was where things got weird for Arthur.)