Killer

The freezing night air stings and pinches at my face as I walk hastily down the street, dim flickering lamps lighting my way. My thoughts dance on the subject of cautiousness, and they buzz lightly in my fuzzy mind. I keep my foot steps silent and I shove my numb hands into my hoodie pockets. The amazing winter has only began and it is already frigid, making me curious about how the rest of the winter will turn out to be. But the cold streets provide little to no comfort that the winter will be a mild one.

The streets are empty, no surprise its dangerous here at night. Another reason to hurry. I start a little faster to my destination knowing its not very far anymore. My breath comes out as vapor in the freezing air, it swirls around before disappearing off into the world. I watch it, and wonder if I could maybe get closer to the left side of the street so I have less of a chance of being spotted.

I glance to my left then to my right, checking for any deranged person who might want to hurt me. I stop to scan the shadows caused by the buildings, when I see no one I start on as fast as possibly with out drawing attention to myself. I know many stories of people wandering to the east side of the abandon city and getting shot or stabbed, and the thought of being snuck up on and killed is not at all appealing to me. I know that there are many loners on this side, all of them crave death and pain.

I try to keep all the nasty memories of this place out of my mind and focus on keeping my foot steps from ringing off the walls of the alleyways. I grasp the hem of my over sized black sweatshirt, and I watch the small puddles of water pass by me, watching my brown hair as it sways in front of my face in rhythm with the crisp winter air, and I look up at the moon. Its glow is comforting to me, and I wonder if I could just reach up and touch it, then I could hold the power of its light to lead my way.

I think of all of the stories I was told about the moon, all of them triggered my fascination and curiosity in the unknown light in the sky. How my mother would whisper about how the moon would watch over me when I was in trouble. Just like she would tell me, "follow the moon, it'll show you." Her soft lips telling me that daddy was just having a bad day, that daddy was just a little drunk, that the moon would look after me, daddy would not hurt me if the moon was watching. But know I know that the moon didn't look after my mother, father took mother away for good. Telling me, "You don't need that childish nonsense Rose, grow up and go get me a drink."

A slight pang of emptiness hits my heart. I was olny 6, I didn't understand that when he said "she is gone", he ment for good, dead. Shaking my head I tell myself that is in the past and that I am grown now and my dad is gone. Some where out beyond the city of teenagers, probably getting drunk off his ass to hide all the pain he has caused him self. Wanting to think of something less dark, I pay attention to the streets ahead of me.

The ruins of buildings pass faster by me as I increase my speed, I am wary of this certain spot in the city, its the most dangerous and I don't want to be caught. I know that if I don't hurry there is a possibility of being caught by someone. The story I once herd about a girl my age suddenly appears in my mind, she was looking for her little sister who had wandered a little to far from her home, the girl was kidnapped and was never seen again. The thought of being kidnapped sends shivers through my body as I walk.

Teens rule the Halo, teenagers and teenagers only. There are kids from thirteen to twenty five years, all highly skilled in the art of violence and war with the gangs. Each gang has one leader, one who is thought worthy to rule, who has mastered the art of deception and leadership; one whom must be noble enough to be respected by all gang members. And let me tell you no one in the Halo respects anyone unless they think the person is fit to gain their respect. I mean they are all teens, of course they don't give out respect easily, most cant even swallow their pride. At the moment I am trying to get myself into one of the gangs, feeling rather lonely now that my best friend; Lexi has left the city. She was a former member herself-........