The Hunger Games

I close my eyes, leaning against the trunk of my old favorite tree, breathing in the last of the long day. I lit up a cigarette - That I stole from one of the unaware peacekeepers - and as I inhaled, the glow from the other end of it matched the sunset before me. Though autumn wasn't my favorite season, I had to admit there was something special about the autumn sunsets that nature had to show. I found myself watching the sunsets recently. The way things were going in my life, they had a calming effect on me and soothed my sanity which threatened to slip away from me with every passing day. 

The the season cast an orange haze above the horizon, lighting up the sky as if lit by fire, yet the haze was so crisp and clear. 

The sun, like a large, granduer orange fireball in the distance was partially cloaked by the hanging clouds, which were all splashed with the random colors of hot pinks, reds and even hints of purples and blues. The sun was so large that he felt he could almost touch it. It seemed to look at him with a dull glare, knowing that it's beauty and the planet's dependence on it for survival made up for it. 

The sun which had it's time to shine for the time it was given, seemed to whipser "Farewell" to the world as it sunk lower and lower in a lazy manner; almost as if it never wanted to leave. 

But I knew I too had to leave soon. I leaned off from the tree, walking down the grassy hill and ducking underneath the thick pine branches and towards the cabin. A cool breeze passed, making me stop in the middle of the field. I let the wind tossle my hair as it was almost like a human touch. It had been a while since he had been touched by another or even shook another's hand. Then again, I hardly trusted anyone. 

I looked at the sun again. The sun was almost as orange as the sky, like a ghost almost. Yet even from behind the trees, it seemed to stare at me; a silent ball of wonderment that was really a raging ball of Hellish fury. The very thing that gave warmth, life, light and happiness to so many could just as easily cause utter destruction. That fact reminded me of my father. 

I closed my eyes once more, the events of the day going through my life like a reel. My father always told me to get out of the habit of daydreaming, but I was always the intellectual type. The "thinker". The sound of my father's words echoed in my mind, jerking me out of his fleeting thoughts. By the time i opened my eyes, the sun was gone, leaving behind a sea of dark, lonely clouds in a twilight sky. The heavens were begining to litter the stars about, for it was their turn to shine. I flicked my cigarrete, brushing my nose while walking to the cabin. I knew that things, like the seasons would change and that everything would be alright. And like the sun, I knew everyone had their time to shine. And I know it would someday be the same for me.