chapter 1

I'm looking at my coffee, while I let a stranger look at me. I don't look up to see who it is, but I can't ignore his eyes examinating my every move.   

It started three weeks ago. I was at a subway with a friend. He came in and sat across our table. He didn't order anything. He just sat there and stared at me.

I was a little freaked out so we left, but he followed us. I told Amanda and she tricked him by turning in a secret turn. I thought I was okay but he showed up a few days later. This time I was alone. I was at target shopping for my school supply. I was looking at binders and one fell on the floor. I bent down to take it and saw shoes pointed in my direction. I looked up and saw the same guy. He was staring at me. I got scared and left. He continued to pop up, but I decided to ignore him.

I finally look up. I catch his gaze. Our eyes lock together long enough for me to see his features. He's got deep green eyes and dark messy hair. If he wasn't stalking me I would find him attractive.

I look away, but I can still feel his eyes burning on me.

I decide to leave. Luckily, he doesn't follow.

"Where were you?" Charlotte says when I get home.

"At the coffee house." I look for her but she isn't in the kitchen. "Where are you?"

"In my room."

And she is. When I come in, she's laying on her bed, still in her work clothe, but her shoes are knocked off on the floor, her hair his down and all messy. She has a little mascara under her eyes.

"Hard day?" I ask.

She grunts in response.

Charlotte moves to the left of her bed and pats the right side of the bed. I lay next to her with a sigh.

"Big day?" She asks in return.

I hesitate to tell her about my stalker, but decide not too.

"You can say that." I finally say.

"Are you excited for tomorrow?" She asks, talking about school starting tomorrow.

In response, I look at her and pretend to be sick. She giggles.

"Are you hungry?" Charlotte breaks the silence.

"Starving."

I get up and head to the kitchen. I hear Charlotte's foot steps following me.

"What do we have?"

"Frozen pizza and leftovers from yesterday."

She opens the food cabinet.

"We could make pasta."

"Pasta it is."

"Charlotte?" I say when our dinner is ready and set.

"Mmhmm?"

"Tell me about my parents."

She looks shocked about my question. We rarely talk about my parents.

"My sister, your mother, was an amazing person. Everybody loved her. I didn't know very well your father, but he made your mother so happy."

"How did they die?"

"I already told you."

"But I want to hear it again."

"They died in a car accident."

"You should go to bed now. Tomorrow is a big day." She changes the subject. Every time we talk about my parents, she does that, like theres something she's hiding from me. But I always shut up, because I am a coward.