Father and Son

"Dad, why did you start writing books? It seems all so boring to me."

"The writing may be boring at times, but I never really noticed it before."

 "Why not?"

"Well, whenever I am writing, I am not sitting at my desk. I am travelling across the world, best treacherous traps, help the heroes to stop vicious foes... I have been to the Moon, you know?"

 "Really?"

"Yes. The Moon, Mars, Venus... I saw the storms of Jupiter, the endless void of space, and I have seen and fought more aliens than you can imagine!"

 "Are the aliens evil?"

"No, they are not. They are just different, and sometimes don't get along with us humans very well. I have met many aliens that are incredibly nice, possess a great wealth of knowledge and culture, and are equally fascinated of what my people have to offer in return. It is, of course, not just the aliens. There are dragons, elves, dwarves, wizards wielding mystical powers... I could go on like that all day and all night, describing battlefields, colonies, foreign planets, towns, or villages. when I write, I am in all of these places, experiencing adventures greater than the things on TV. Well, obviously, my readers will notbe able to experience the fun I had in the world, since I am not nearly good enough to convey all of that in a text yet."

 "So, you have fun on adventures all the time when you write your stories?"

"I wouldn't say that. Far from it, actually. I also spend a lot of time in the dark, alone. Shadows draw near, and I know what is behind them, yet I can't tell the heroes. The villains are  successful too sometimes, of course, and that means I have to say goodbye to very dear friends. I couldn't stop it, I could not even console them. Only watch, as their loved ones tried to rescue them, only to come too late. Worse still are the ones I have to leave completely alone in the end, not knowing that potentially thousands of eyes watch them, unable to interfere."

 "But I thought you write those stories?"

"Yes, of course."

 "Then you actually could do something?"

"It isn't that easy. As bad as it sounds, sometimes, death is a necessity, because the death of one person can inspire growth in others. Some will follow a darker path, make wrong decisions, maybe even become outright evil. But many will understand to take a threat more seriously, to seek out new ways to improve themselves, to make new allies or even friends. Honouring a fallen comrade by overcoming the obstacle yourself can beone of the most powerful motives to find in fiction and real life."

 "Why don't you just have no threat that kills people?"

"That is just not how my mind works, I guess. Either that, or..."

 "Or what?"

"Either that, or perhaps I am just not good enough at writing that kind of story."