Chapter 1: Enter Trinity Souza

Written by: Lexi

Lately, I've had this reoccurring dream. I'm floating in this abyss of darkness- maybe I'm underwater?- bubbles fluttering out of my mouth whenever I exhale. But it feels like oxygen fills my lungs, not water.

I just float around this empty blackness, squinting, straining my eyes to see what is deeper within. What's more than five inches in front of my face to no avail. My entire body feels cold, like I'm trapped in a block of ice, leaving the tips of my fingers, toes and nose to burn. All of my muscle ache from the cold, seizing up.

Like moving through molasses, I started the tedious and tiring journey endeavor of swimming further down into the darkness. I knew salvation is up (I can see a bit better when I look up), but for some reason, I keep heading down. Something is calling my and I am powerless to deny it. Closer, deeper, it beckoned and I obeyed. It's like a siren's call. I could not refuse.

My arms and legs tire when I spot a glowing light piercing the darkness. I watched as the light, dim and small against the surround black, pulsated strong, As if untouchable.

Before I even got close enough for the light to be the size of my thumb nail, the dream shatters like fine china hitting the ground without any rhyme or reason. I awoke covered in a cold sweat, my night shirt stuck to my chest and back.

I sat up slowly and gazed across my dark room. I could see my dresser and computer desk and chair. The door to my closet and to the hall. I spot the door I want to get to, the bathroom. It connects to my sister, Linda's room so I pulled the covers away quietly. I spot the clock, it's almost five in the morning.

I climbed out of bed, the wood floors cold against my sockless feet, and made my way to the bathroom. I don't turn on the light, not wanting it to shine into my sisters room right next to it.

A gentle, quiet stream poured from the foucet. I splashed the water onto my face and the back of my neck. Cold rivlets streamed down my back, making me sigh lightly.

I turned the foucet off and stared at my dark silloutte in the mirror. This was the fourth night in a row that I've had this dream. It was basically the same thing every single time. Surrounded by darkness and a singular light that I swam toward but never quite made it close enough to make out any details about the dim, far away glow.

With a single shake of my head, I left the bathroom and climbed back into my damp bed and slipped easily back into slumber.

***

I towl dried my hair as I gazed into my closet, trying to pick out what to wear for the day. Can't I just go to school in sweats and a big t-shirt? Even though it's a Thursday, it should be okay, right? No, I had an interview right after school, so I have to look nice.

I decided on black three inch, open toed heels and black dress pants. After a bit of debate, I shimmied into a sleevless red blouse that wrapped around the neck with waves of frills fown the front. Little black pokidots pepper the shirt and settle for black badazzeled earrings and call it good enough.

I brushed my hair and teeth, putting on the barest minimum amount of make-up before I walked out to the stairs and into the kitchen. My stepmom was at the stove, fraying up some eggs. She smiled at me when I entered the room.

"Oh, Trinity, look at how mature you look! Oh, you are going to definately get the internship," she gushed, walking over to me and tightly sqeezed my arms. 

Hannah smiled brightly, patting my cheek before she returned to the oven to cook breakfast. 

She looked at me over her shoulder at me. "Bacon? Eggs?"