Cocktails

Sitting on the window seat, dressed in her faded blue dressing gown, Alison had the perfect view of the city below. She could see the cafe she worked and even see the classy restaurant that Mike was taking her to tonight. Large parts of the city was light with bright yellow lights while some much larger parts were left dark. The city of Selaous was going through a depression and they could not afford to light the whole city. The city had once been a thriving city but due to a severe hurricane that swept through. It had been left in disarray. Some people had lost everything in the hurricane. Homes, businesses and family members had been carried away. The glittering lights showed a clear divide between the rich and the poor. The people who had been hit by the hurricane and those who had not. Lucky she managed to buy an apartment mid city. It was not perfect but it was much better than some people had.

The main living room of her apartment was a mix of cream and pastel colors. A faded pastel sofa was next the the door behind a glass coffee table. Surrounding the window seat where Alison was currently sitting were various musical instruments belonging to Mike's band. Alison wanted to have a table there but Mike needed a place to keep all of the bands equipment. The was a open plan kitchenette to the right of the little apartment with a breakfast bar that they used to eat. On the left side of the apartment were two doors that lead to the bedroom and the bathroom.

Simone swept in the apartment door with a big grin plastered across her face and a large plastic bag her over her arm. "Cocktails," she
squealed dumping her things on the sofa.
"Can we do Mocktails." Alison begged matching her friends excited tone. "I mean, I just want a clear head tonight." She added seeing Simone annoyed face.
"Don't be such a prude," she groaned getting out all of the necessary equipment. Where all of the coloured bottles came from, she didn't know. They must have been her boyfriend's. He always liked to drink while Alison preferred to remain sober. Sitting down on the sofas by the door, she watched Simone mix the drinks.

"Wait, you want a clear head. Is this it? Mike is going to propose." Simone yelled ecstatically.

"I think so, he went to visit his mother in America just last week." Alison gossiped. "His family have a sapphire and diamond ring that has been past down through the generations."

"I bet you are looking forward to have that on your finger." Giggled Simone handing her a large blue cocktail drink and slumped on the sofa next to her. Taking a small tentative sip wrinkling her nose at the bitter alcoholic taste.

Alison looked down at her phone and saw a new message from Mike. "Just reminding you about our date tonight. Meet me at work for seven, I love you."

"Oh how sweet." giggled Simone swiping her phone out of her hand. "Lets start with your makeup." Simone added sweetly holding out a makeup brush. Alison could not do her own makeup because her hands shook too much. Her condition meant that she could not do a lot of things like drawing and playing music with Mike.

"Oooh, drinks, a beautiful woman and my sister." Greeted a teenage boy from the doorway. Simone blushed bright red at the complement

"What do you want, Charlie?" Snapped Alison at her intruding brother.

Suddenly becoming sheepish he replied "I'm locked out and mum is not home. Can I have your spare key?" Alison groaned and picked up a key from the glass bowl form the coffee table and passed it to him. "Simone, I have got the house to myself if you want to join me?" He winked at Simone.

"Leave, now Charlie!" She shouted as she shoved him out of the door and slammed it. She and her friend burst out laughing. Her brother Charlie had fancied Simone since she meet her at school.

"So, I have brought you your dress." Said Simone changing the subject. "It will go perfectly with your crystal necklace." She held up a short pink dress for her to put on. Simone always had the best taste in clothes so she always left choosing her date outfits to her. She took the dress out of her friends hands and headed into her bedroom to change.

"I love it." Said Alison spinning around on the plush cream carpet, her skirt fanned out.

Simone looked thoughtful, "Now your hair?"

"What's wrong with it?" She asked running her fingers through her hair.

"Well it needs to be straitened and your roots are showing." Simone sighed gesturing to her blond messy curly hair which was going brown at the roots.

Pretty soon she was ready to go out. There was nothing that they could do about her roots but Simone had straightened her hair and did her makeup. She had her favourite necklace on for the occasion. She liked it best because Mike bought it for her and it looked like a diamond.

"Good luck, sweetie," said Simone hugging her friend goodbye. Alison hurried of to meet Mike in time.