Chapter 1: It's Been A While

The cold crept into Iris and Seamus' home, and the beauty's once helium heart was drowning in a self inflicted flood. All her sins could not compare to all she had done to that girl, the delicate one that now laid on her couch. Iris thought over what she had done, and even though her sanity was weak when she hurt that stranger, it could never excuse her actions. She glanced down at the baby laying in her crib, a song playing on the wind as she did so.

Dove looked just like her passed sister, but even more like a girl in that room. Iris still couldn't believe it, that she was alive.

While the angel attempted to forgive herself, Seamus watched the stray girl sleep. He began to recall the last time he had seen her. She had grown up so much, although it had been years upon years.

Kevin walked into the room, closing the door behind him. "Aleks is worried about her... whoever she is."

Seamus snit. "Of course he is."

"What'd you mean?" He asked, taking a seat on the chair catty corner to him.

"Her name's Melody," Seamus explained. "She's a siren, and more importantly, she's Iris' younger sister. When Dove passed away, Iris lost her mind, and lost Melody. I never knew what happened to her, until now."

The names being spoken slowly brought Melody back to consciousness. She began to fidget with her hands, and her eyes were fluttering as Seamus continued.

"Iris tried to erase it from her memory, it was the only way she could forgive herself. However, the spell broke about two years ago. That's when she truly went into the shadows."

"It... was that bad?" Kevin muttered.

He sighed. "I couldn't tell you, to be honest. I don't know what she did to Melody, but I couldn't blame her for whatever it was. You have to understand, the death of her oldest sister was the most tragic thing to ever happen to her. She snapped, and it didn't help that I decided to leave her in the middle of her breaking. Somehow, Melody got caught up in the storm, and she went missing."

Silence filled the room, and a whistling of the wind harshly hissed through the curtain. The sound of the door opening went unheard, but Seamus would never miss the smell of his love's perfume. He and Kevin wordlessly stared at her as she walked to the side of the couch. They both quietly slipped out, leaving the girls to their privacy. Iris knelt down, and she whispered a few raspy words that played along the song of the branches that hit the windows.

"I am so sorry." She murmured, tears tempting in her eyes. Iris stood back up, and as she did so, she kissed Melody's forehead.

The young girl began to stir even more, and she pulled herself to sit up, looking at her surroundings. Melody locked on Iris, and tears of pain quickly filled her eyes. "Iris... You... You left me to die." She bitterly said, standing from the couch. "You would lock me away in the basement when I was little, then, once Dove died, so did your little amount of compassion. You kicked me out with no place to go, and you didn't care at all if I was dead or alive."

Melody's hands clenched up, and she tightly closed her eyes to push the tears out. Iris was speechless, unable to explain the full truth of what happened.

"Sweetheart-" She began.

"Don't you sweetheart me." Melody responded as her emotions fully took control, and she began to sob while weakly trying to hit Iris' chest. "You left me to die. You're nothing but a monster!" She continued to cry, and her hands released their tight grips. Her hatred was overcome by sorrow and loneliness, and she fell into Iris' embrace.

"Melody, I do love you, with all my heart. Dove did too, and we didn't want you to live the harsh life we had to. Then, after she passed, I began to lose my mind." Iris nervously laughed through tempting tears. She lightly rocked Melody back and forth. "It took all the sanity I had left to kick you out. I did it for your own good, because I was in no state to take care of you. I know that you'll never understand it, mostly because you don't want to, but I promise, all those years Dove and I hurt you, we were protecting you."