Chapter 1

3 months ago
Cass
The moment I saw Rose making out with the Quarterback I knew I never had a chance.
Well I guess that's not true. I knew the second I started falling for my best friend I never had a chance. Rose doesn't like girls. She's also had a habit to date all the douches in our school. She would never want to date someone as sensitive as me anyway. She always wonders why I haven't dated yet even though we're juniors. I just tell her that I haven't found the right guy yet. She can never know the truth.
"Cass? What are you thinking about?" Rose rips me out of my trance.
"I'm wondering how in the world you find Carter Baker dateable."
"Well just because you find all the guys at our school unattractive doesn't mean I don't."
"Whatever," I say my mind racing as she starts trying to get me to dance. Her amethyst dress falls perfectly over her subtle curves. Her tendrils of amber hair fall out of her fishtail braid as she dances. I try to let loose, but all I can think about it that kiss. I get why a bunch of guys at our school are into her. I've seen her kiss plenty of guys before, but every single time I feel a small stab in my chest. I think this one finally set me off.
"Hello, everyone. And welcome to this years junior prom!" Principal Evern gets everyone's attention almost immediately. "I hope everyone's having a good time tonight," people cheer, "This is the moment you've all been waiting for. The Crowning of this year's Prom King and Queen!" more cheers, "The envelope please Marrissa. Thank you. Now this year's King and Queen are.........Connor Baker and Rose Blackwood!"
Rose goes up to the stage with Connor, and they are awarded their crowns.
"Everyone please make room for the Queen and King's first dance." I move over to the punch bowl. I needed a drink. Of course. The punch bowl's been spiked. I don't care I could use a drink or two. I've already downed 3 cups when I hear cheering. I turn around and see Rose and Connor kissing. In. Front. Of. Everyone. I all of a sudden feel sick to my stomach. I run to the bathroom before it's too late.
When I'm done emptying my stomach of its contents, I go to wash my hands when I see my face. I must've started crying at some point because there is mascara running down my face. I grab some towelettes from my purse and wipe off the makeup. That's when I see my sleeve. I must've torn it somewhere. But that's not what made me mad. What made me mad was that through the rip you could see my thin white scars running down my arm.
I can't take this anymore. I was just tired of having to hide my feelings and the scars they made.
When I get home 15 minutes later, my mom is on the sofa, eating chips and watching some tv show about plastic surgery.
"You're home early."
"I wasn't in the party mood anyway."
"Ok then. Hey what time is it."
"11:30. Why?"
"I picked up a shift at 12:00," she rushes to get ready. "I'll be home around 8:00 so make your own breakfast before school or whatever you do." And just like that she's gone. Like she even cares about me. Tomorrow's a Saturday and I've made my own food since 5th grade.
I go back to my room, and had just finished changing into a t-shirt and shorts when I heard the door unlock.
"Did you forget something mom?" I come out to the living room, but who's in the living room is not my mom.
"There you are. I was wondering where you went," Rose has a look in concern in her face until she looks a little closer at my legs and arms. "What are those?"
"Nothing."
"Have you been hurting yourself?"
"So what if I do."
"That's not good."
"So what. It makes me feel better."
"How could doing that make you feel better."
I hesitate. I have to watch what exactly I say. "It helps me forget about my problems ok! Unlike you, I don't have a line of guys drooling over me! And when I finally started falling for someone I could never have them anyway!"
"I'm sure that's not true. I mean who wouldn't like you."
"Oh it's true."
"Oh come on, tell me who it is and we can come up with a plan or something to get them to like you."
"That wouldn't work," my brain goes into overdrive. I don't know how much longer I can hold this in.
"It might. Just tell me who it is."
"No."
"Please?"
"No."
"Oh come on Cass, it couldn't be that ba-"
"ITS YOU OK." I pause for a second, "I'm in love with you Rose."