Brave

Geeky glasses, books scattered around the room, and the smell of freshly brewed coffee fills the room up with its sweet aroma. Behind a book there is a lonely girl that has always gotten rejected and put down ever since she was small. Society wouldn't accept her because she didn't live up to their standards. She wasn't under weight, she didn't have a thigh gap, she didn't have flawless skin. Always picked on for liking books rather than TV shows. That girl was me.

One day I had enough of everyone telling me I wasn't good enough and that I should just kill myself. I let them crawl into my mind and take over my thoughts. While I was walking home I bumped into a tall slender figure and dropped all my books. I expected them to say something along the lines of "Watch were you're going nerd!" but to my surprise the man helped me pick my things up. As I got up, our eyes met. I pushed my glasses up to the bridge of my nose and swallowed hard. I was never the best when it came to talking to boys.

"Are you alright?" His voice was deep yet soothing.

"Yes. I'm sorry I bumped into you."

"It happens. My names Michael. What's yours beautiful?"

"My names Victoria but I like Viki."

I looked up from the ground to see him staring at my wrist. Cut marks trailed up my arms. Throughout the years of verbal abuse from family and strangers I turned towards cutting. It took my pain away.

"Why would such a pretty girl like you want to harm yourself?"

I was shocked by how much he was concerned. I had just accidentally bumped into him and all the sudden he cared more about me than my own family did.

"I struggle trying to fit into society..."

He looked at me with his glowing green eyes and said,

"Society is overrated. Being you is what's cool. I know we just met but would you like to come join me for lunch?"

I was never invited out to lunch by anyone before. Of course I accepted the invitation. Funny, isn't it, how on your worst days God sends people to cross paths with you and change your mind?