Queen By Chance (1)

Elsa

All my life, I've told myself, Conceal it. Don't feel it. Put on a show. I never dreamed I would become Queen. I've known it was coming, but I have been waiting for myself to slip up, show my dark side. I sit before my vanity, a twenty-one year old queen-to-be. It doesn't feel any different to being a princess prepping for a ball... except for the fact that, if all goes well, I'll come out of today a queen with a crown on my head. I watch myself twist my braid until it is tight enough to hurt, I wince as I wrap the braid on itself, as the hairstyle pulls at individual strands of platinum blonde hair.

Clasping my cape, I slip off my gloves and place them between an ornamental box and a brass candle stick, I look up to an enormous painting of the King of Arendelle, my father, at his coronation. "Be the good girl you always have to be," I turn away from the portrait, candlestick and box in hand. I tense when I notice ice crawling up the brass metal of the candlestick and encasing the blue ornamentation on the box. Whirling around, I place the objects back on the dresser and slip into the soothing comfort of my turquoise gloves.

I'm so scared. The pressure must be getting to me, I feel as though the walls are caving in on me. It almost feels like being hunted by a hungry pack of wolves, the feeling is relentless, it's always there. I barely pay attention to the Bishop as he mumbles a multitude of phrases in Latin as I spin to face an audience of townspeople and important dignitaries. Panic rises up my throat as i notice the blue sheen the scepter is taking on, "Queen Elsa, of Arendelle," Once the last syllable is out of the Bishop's mouth, I whir around for my gloves. Calm once more, I fake a smile as the dignitaries and the citizens rejoice in the fact that they now have a Queen.

"I'm afraid I can't join you at the party," I tell Anna on the way out of the cathedral, she opens her mouth to speak, obviously to ask why, but I cut her off before she can begin, "I'm sorry, but I-I just can't." I rub her upper arm and turn to leave, but she holds my open palm where it is, "there's more to it, isn't there?" She looks as beautiful in the shadows as she does in the sunlight. The sun's rays glint off her hair, highlighting her streak. it stands out among her natural strawberry blonde. It's there because of me, and because of that, I almost cry. Of course there's more, I almost killed you when we were young, and I've hidden away from you since because of my powers over ice and snow. I ache to tell my sister everything, but I didn't lock myself away for thirteen years for nothing, "you'd tell me if there was anything more, right?" She asks, curious, no doubt I stirred it with my refusal to respond.

There's no way I can justify my fear of her, my fear of hurting her without spilling anything. "Please, let me go," I plead, "go join the party. I know how much you want to dance," I give her a sad smile, hoping it'll be enough to loosen her grip on my hand under hers. "They want to see their Queen," she smiles, "can't you give them that?" she asks, pleadingly. That wins me over, I've never known how persuasive Anna can be, "I can't be around for long," I give in to her pleas, and let her drag me deeper into the castle.

"Queen Elsa, of Arendelle," I follow the voice into everyone's expectant gazes. In an ocean of strangers, I sense an uninvited, but familiar, guest. From a young age, I've always felt a presence in the background, one that could render a room below freezing quicker than I could. I shake the tingling sensation of being watched, and put on a fake smile. I wait for Anna to join me by the throne. Anna clears her throat, a gesture that is barely audible over a loud clap of thunder. I suppose it's a defense mechanism of mine, but it doesn't make the blizzard suddenly blowing a gale in a filled-to-capacity ballroom okay, nor does it make it normal. "Get everyone out and close the gates!" I call hurriedly over blistering winds, "Anna, please," I push her towards the door, knowing she'll argue.

"Elsa, what is this?" Anna looks back to me as I cart her towards the doors, "I can't explain it," I lie quickly, of course I can explain it. I just don't know how to explain my knack for manipulating the winter, neither do I have the energy to explain that I can't stop whatever this is before it gets worse. "Just stay away."

I hear the Duke on the other side screaming. "It's sorcery, I tell you! Sorcery!" I roll my eyes, marginally hurt by the comment and slam the heavy double doors between us. Effectively locking Anna and the other guests out, and me in. "Awaken." Did I imagine the voice? I really hope I didn't. I'm  a queen, I can't have lost my head so soon, but I'm the only soul in the room. the word haunted me, Awaken what? Alas, I don't have the time to ponder what a simple word could have meant. It could really mean anything. The gusts slice past my nose time and again, but I don't shiver. If I'm honest with myself, the cold had never bothered me. I stand alone at the centre of a grand ballroom, the queen of isolation, I suppose I always will be, no matter who I surround myself with. I feel the unfurling of magic at the back of my mind, I reach for strings of energy and tug on them, hoping to lift the storm. But I've outdone myself, and I have little control over such a large ability.

Abruptly, the cold wind settles to the slight gusts one might feel when they wave a fan to keep a hot, summer's breeze at bay, then they stop completely. I know I didn't stop that storm, I've been out of control for years, making storms are all I can do, even if I try anything else. I stay where I am as the snow lifts, and the ice cracks, losing its hold on the marble pillars. I wish that I was imagining it, but someone else shares my curse, someone knows my pain. "w-what?" I stutter in shock, I did nothing to ease the storm, but the storm has fallen under someone else's control, someone who knows what they were doing. And for that, I'm grateful.

"Tsk. Tsk. It seems you remember nothing of your lessons, Snowflake," the Voice chides,

"What lessons?"

"Perhaps we can rectify that."

"Rectify? Rectify what?"

  "You always were an eager pupil, it's such a shame you've neglected your better side for as long as you have." The disembodied voice rubs against my ear like a cat's purr, "find me." The Voice fades to nothing, and I'm left alone to face a storm of questions and a river of answers I don't have. "Queen Elsa?" A servant asks from the other side of the locked door, followed by heavy knocking, "Elsa!" Anna's worried call draws my attention to the door, "I need to know you're okay. Please, open the door," her request is quiet, but I acknowledge it, the locks click as I turn the knob. All I know is that I can't stay here, I needed to know who saved my life. I need to find the person who shares my curse.

Once I'm clear of the doors, I race out, not giving anyone so much as a side-ways glance.

"Fix the storm, and all will be right." the Voice is a small hum in the narrowest corner of my mind, but it reverberates through me with volume and clarity. And then it's quiet, save for the pounding of my footsteps on carpeted marble. I'm alone.

Suddenly, I know I can't fight the Voice, but I hope with all my heart that I can ignore them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, I saw Divergent early today, it doesn't come out until April 10 2014 here. IT'S A FLIPPING MASTERPIECE (my opinion).

-

-

Vote, comment and share

~thisshatteredworld

Oh! Before I go, I accidentally deleted the second chapter, so that won't be up for while. Okay? Okay.

Bye now!