Fight for Me

Isabelle

2010

"Where's the money!" my Father slaps me once again. I wince as the pain shot through me.

"I already gave you all that I have!" I muster to shout back.

"How dare you shout to me! Who do you think you are huh?" he kicks me on my right leg and I scream in pain. I hear my Mother scream telling him to stop but that's about it. Aside from screaming, there's nothing else she can do. I turn my face to my Mother and give her a reassuring smile. She's crying by the corner clutching her stomach which my alcoholic Father managed to hit before I came home.

"What the fuck do you want? I'm giving you almost all the money I'm getting from my jobs! Why don't you get a job so you can buy your own alcohol and drink to death!" I spat at him.

"How dare you talk to me like that! You're still living under my roof so you do what I tell you to do!" he gives me another blow in the stomach and I fall back. I get up immediately, still clutching my stomach and I push him as hard as I can, with the limited energy left in me. My Father, intoxicated with alcohol, stumble backwards.

I run to my Mother's side and grab her hand and motions her to stand up but she refuse.

"Mom, let's go!" I scream at her, taking advantage of the chance while my Father is still laying flat on the floor.

"I can't leave your Father. You go ahead, leave, before he hit you again." she tells me.

I shake my head profusely at her. Here we go again. We always have this argument. We could have left a long time ago if it wasn't for my Mother. She can't seem to leave my Father behind—my Father who is an alcoholic, jobless prick who hit my Mother and I whenever he rans out of alcohol to drink.

I am working two jobs at the moment and my Mother cleans the house of some of our rich neighbors, while my Father sits at home, getting more drunk as day passes by, and it should be more than enough reason for us to leave him. We are way better off without him. But my Mother can't leave him, and I can't leave my Mother alone with him knowing what he is capable of doing, which leaves me no choice but to live with him and give in to whatever he wants.

"Mom come on! Let's go!" I call for her again, as my Father is starting to regain his balance.

"You go! Leave me here! I can handle myself!" she push me towards the door.

"Come here you ungrateful bitch!" my Father, who is now standing up, yells at me, his fist ready to attack.

"Go!" my Mother push me again.

I grab my bag and head out of the door. I look back at my Mother once more and she gives me an
understanding nod.

As I am checking myself in the mirror of a parked car on the side of the street, my phone vibrates from my pocket, and it's a call from my bestfriend Hoseok.

"Yah Jung2! Where are you? You're late!" he shouts through the phone and I flinch at his loud voice.

"Sorry Jung1, I got caught up at home." I say and the line became silent for a few seconds.

"Are you okay?" he asks me.

"You know I'll be fine." I answer him, and I hear him hum in agreement. "I'm on my way, I'll be there in a few." I say and I hung up.

I check my reflection once more by the car window. As I was scratching off the blood that is dried up on the side of my lip, the car window opens which surprised me.